Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Ohio river/salt river 25 apr 09

Launched from Salt River. Access roads are fully open to the ramp on both entry and exit, and about 10 foot of ramp is out of the water, easy ramp in. Not too much drift in Salt River, water was muddy green. Run up Salt to the railroad bridge and there's a massive log jam that clogs 90% on the water way under the train trestles. Left side is open and about 20 feet wide, with very strong current running through this gap at the left bank's, north trestle. Skip Jack Herring were abundant there, chasing bait to the surface. We got strikes on Small Blue Rattle Traps, and small white spinners, but no hookups. Next fished the mouth of Salt at the Ohio. Since we had no skippie, just went with nightcrawlers. Fished them on the bottom, mid water column and near surface from 7 pm to 10pm with a couple light strikes, no hookups. River current was not too strong, water was muddy, coffee with cream colored. Debris ranged from 8 foot long 8 inch logs to small stuff. Some debris out there but still fishable.

Skipjack: We tried in line white colored Blue Fox spinners, Heddon surface prop baits, little 1/16 ounce jigs with white grub tales, small Rapalas, Bandits, silver spoons, Bandits, and tiny little silver crank baits with no luck. What is the best lure to use to catch skippies?
    Last edited by HURRICANEBOB; 04-26-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio river/salt river 25 apr 09

How do I start a new post on this board??? Thanks. I don't see anywhere that will let me start a new post, any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I post a new thread on this board??? I've tried but for some reason it wont let me start a new one. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the best luck with a Sabiki rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    Launched from Salt River. Access roads are fully open to the ramp on both entry and exit, and about 10 foot of ramp is out of the water, easy ramp in. Not too much drift in Salt River, water was muddy green. Run up Salt to the railroad bridge and there's a massive log jam that clogs 90% on the water way under the train trestles. Left side is open and about 20 feet wide, with very strong current running through this gap at the left bank's, north trestle. Skip Jack Herring were abundant there, chasing bait to the surface. We got strikes on Small Blue Rattle Traps, and small white spinners, but no hookups. Next fished the mouth of Salt at the Ohio. Since we had no skippie, just went with nightcrawlers. Fished them on the bottom, mid water column and near surface from 7 pm to 10pm with a couple light strikes, no hookups. River current was not too strong, water was muddy, coffee with cream colored. Debris ranged from 8 foot long 8 inch logs to small stuff. Some debris out there but still fishable.

Skipjack: We tried in line white colored Blue Fox spinners, Heddon surface prop baits, little 1/16 ounce jigs with white grub tales, small Rapalas, Bandits, silver spoons, Bandits, and tiny little silver crank baits with no luck. What is the best lure to use to catch skippies?
    try tying on some popeye jigs 4 to 8 of them on a line and a bobber about 18 inches above that cast and real if u get around a **** and see them jumping cast in to them and hold it is posible to catch as many as how many jigs u got tied on good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, Skipjack and ironhead are right with the sabiki's and popeyes but you should have caught them on several of the baits you were using. I would suggest using the 1\16 oz jigs with the white grubs or tubes and burn them threw the water you can't fish them fast enough...but if you are using a slower retrieve you will lose there attention. Fast,fast,fast. I will use several different colors and keep track of the color you seem to catch the most on.. Oh and don't forget the throw net for shad. good luck..Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    How do I start a new post on this board??? Thanks. I don't see anywhere that will let me start a new post, any help is appreciated.
    Les, Are you going to your prefered board ie.KY,IND. so on scroll all the way down and you will see START NEW THREAD on the left, click that and it should bring up what you need... and welcome to the board...Chuck

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Thanks folks, will take the advice!