Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

E-mail to Fish & Wildlife

I just sent the following E-mail to Fish & Wildlife:

[FONT=Arial] It has recently come to my attention that a large number of boaters here in Northern Kentucky are getting up in arms about the recent citations and warnings issued regarding the 18' 6" length limit on the smaller state-run lakes here. Most of us are aware that this law has been on the books for many years, but it has not been enforced. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] The biggest question that I keep hearing is why is this rule being enforced now, after all these years? Many boat owners are also upset about the disparity in legal length between bass boats and pontoon boats. Why do pontoons have a longer maximum allowable length? Many feel discriminated against, pointing out that this length limit is from a time when there were no bass boats over 18' 6", therefore it is an antiquated law.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] We as a group are feeling discriminated against, and rightfully so. We pay just as much for our fishing licenses as the guy fishing from the bank or fishing from a canoe. Why should we be denied equal access to public waters? We pump substantially more money into the economy than the guy who fishes from the bank a few times each season. We spend ridiculous amounts of money every year on the upkeep of our boats, the latest and greatest in rods, reels and electronics, shopping carts full of lures, gas and oil, and meals and lodging when we go out of town to lakes all across the state. And this is the thanks we get? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial] We as a group have but one simple question - why? If there is a legitimate answer to that question, we will gladly accept it and move on. If not, I'm afraid Frankfort has just picked a helluva fight.[/FONT]

ALL of my fishing buddies are up in arms about this. We as a group need to take action. One idea I have is to set an arbitrary date for later this summer. On that date, we all E-mail them to express our displeasure. Also on that date, we could all call them or individually send a letter to them or pass around petitions to sign and submit them all on the same day. Do you guys think this is a good idea or have other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E-mail to Fish & Wildlife

Please let us know what their response.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: E-mail to Fish & Wildlife

Yes, keep us informed. I would be more than willing to do what ever it takes to get this law changed. Man....................I have even heard that some guys/tournaments are threatening to eliminate the "catch and release" approach when fishing Kincaid. I would hate to see that happen. Call it a threat..........................call it what ever, I just hope the State takes some time and looks very closely at this issue. This law has to be revamped.

Post Thanks / Like

yes keep us informed or if there is ne thing that ne of us can do let us know

Post Thanks / Like

It is simply a question of scale and 18 and a half feet is already a lot of boat to have on a lake that size. I'm not doing the math but think about the surface area of Kincaid and mentally compare that with the surface area of most modern bass boats, add in small jon boats, canoes, paddle boats and what not, plus bank fisherman...I'll tell you one thing, duesche bags killing all the big reproducing fish would be really healthy for the fishery.