Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

reelfoot fishing

am heading down to reelfoot may 13-17 was hoping for some ideas for big gills this will be my 14 year old sons first trip. hae does get to catch too many of those bull bluegills here in Illinois.we willbe staying at reelfoot inn , just looking for some help since the reports are so far behind

Post Thanks / Like

Re: reelfoot fishing

i am going down the 10th through the 13th and i would like to know some info as well. This will be my 6th year straight going down and staying at cypress point resort. this year you will be coming down a week after the full moon on the 9th so you may hit it just right with your son. If i can give any advice i would say to stay about 15 to 20 yards off the shore and cast to the bank and reel back in slowly as sometime the big gills will be about 10 yards off the shore protecting their beds instead of right on top of the beds. the water temperature should be right for spawning so we both should have great weeks. Also reelfoot lake is on twitter.com with a report and 3 hours ago they updated it and said the gills are moving on the beds now so good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks this is may 4th year and the guys im going with have been going for over 15 years , but weve missed the spawn the last 2 years . i have found a good shed lake by samburg that is 30 to 40 feet deep so if we miss it we go there . last year with 5 boats and a day of fishing we brought back to camp over 600 gills though they are not quite as big.i am from central illinois and the gills here dont get that big i only hope i have enough film in the camera to capture my sons face....lol where r u coming from??

Post Thanks / Like

i am coming from louisville ky. Just like you we have missed the spawn the last two years as well but have still brought in about 80 per day per boat. we fish alot in the burnt woods and back by starve pond. you son will have a blast i remember the first year i went and i was amazed so i can only amagine a kid being as excited as i was. We have a group of about 20 that go down every year and some have been going for 15 to 20 years as well. I am just hoping that this year we hit it dead on like we did three years ago when we were bring in 200 gills per boat per day. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

i have fished burnt woods but where is starved pond ? i also think i remember you guys at cypress point 3 years ago , we hit it big time that year and a resort worker pointed out a group of guy and said your group and ours were the only ones that found them like that , anyway where is starved pond ???

Post Thanks / Like

starve pond is in the northwest corner of the second lake by horse ditch it is full of lilly pads. we have done really well in there and in the cypress trees around there. were do you have the best luck at

Post Thanks / Like

burnt woods , lilly pads wich sounds like its where starved pond is , and we like to troll along the shore and hit the trees. and we are coming from Peoria Illinois about 6 1/2 hour drive.

Post Thanks / Like

we are staying at reelfoot lake inn this year cause we all have our own boats, so we will be putting in at the state park where the giant crappie is, pretty sure we just need to strait out from there i think burnt woods is just across from there and up a little.

Post Thanks / Like

our's is a 5 hour drive. we leave at 1;30am sat night sunday morning and drive through the night to cypress point and get straight on the boats at sun up. I can't wait to leave and get down there. the day's leading up to the trip are always the worst. Sitting at work just wishing you were already on the lake. have you heard any more news on how the fishing is doing

Post Thanks / Like

just seen a report that said crappie in 4 feet and blue gills heading in to beds go to reefootlake.com and click on fishing report was updated may 3rd . best i found so far , and yes the days are already dragging i start my vac. sat 9th

Post Thanks / Like

i start mine the same day. yea i saw that report as well but i wish other places could update their reports. i had friends go down last week and said they killed the crappie so i hope the gills come along. do you ever do any catfish fishing while you are there. i do some yo yo's sometimes when the gills are not biting it can be fun to see what you catch.

Post Thanks / Like

We might try some catfishing if its slow , and we like to do so around the point at Willow Bar , and we use stinkbait. We also catch some on crickets aroung the trees.