Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

People are strange!!

I am not rich and do not live in an affluent suburb by any means but it's not a slum either. I have been here for a long time and have never seen a problem with crime, vandalism, or run down houses (at least not any more than any other similar places). What I am saying is, I don't think that any of my neighbors that drive up or down our street or through the neighborhood are so poor that they need to beg for things or pick up trash.

BUT PICK UP TRASh some of them do!!

Many times I have been amazed at how fast someone will pick up and haul away things that are put out with the trash!! Not just at my house but things I see in front of other houses on trash days also. Personally, I figure that if someone is putting something out to be picked up by the garbage man, it is either broken, dirty, or worthless and maybe all three!! I wouldn't want it!!

About ten or twelve years ago, I bought a nice hose reel to wind up and store my garden hose on. Last year it developed leaks in a couple of places but it wasn't bad, so I kept using it. Last week when I took it out of the garage and hooked it up to the outside faucet, it was really leaking bad in at least three places. At first I thought it may be the hose, so I took it off to put a good hose on it and that is when I found that the threaded part that you fasten the hose to was cracked. I bought a new hose reel!!

Tomorrw is trash pick-up day so after lunch, I put our trash can up by the street and sat the broken hose reel next to it. About 30 minutes later, I took the kitchen trash out and THE HOSE REEL WAS ALREADY GONE!!

This has happened to me several times, with other broken things I have put out for the trash man, (and as I said, I have seen it at other houses) so it is nothing new just because of the bad economic times. I guess some people are better at fixing up broken things than I am but I still think that if it is put out with the trash it is not worth taking home. Even if one person's trash is anothers treasure, I still don't want it.

Grumpy
    Last edited by Grumpy; 05-04-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: People are strange!!

Grumpy,

Funny thing; tomorrow is bulk trash day. I guarantee there will be 5 pick up trucks full of our trash leaving my neighborhood. Your right one mans trash is another mans treasure.

BB1

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: People are strange!!

Grumpy, I was coming home from work one evening about ten years ago. I noticed a guy carrying a small black boat motor out to the curb , I turned around and went back and sure enough it was a 9.9 Mercury. I pulled in his drive way and asked him what was up. He said he could not keep it running and wanted an electric start so he went out and bought a new one. He gave me the motor, tank, and hose I take it home put a new hose and bulb on it and I am still using it. I still go by this guys house on a regular basis and slow down who knows

Post Thanks / Like

I did the same thing with an old rusty gas grill....I mean it was trashed. I put it out in the evening and it was gone in a few hours. I have seen pickup trucks going through the neighborhood with old Washers, Dryers and Lawnmowers in the back as well.

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine tells the story of how a few years ago, he put an old, ratty armchair out in the trash. A little while later his neighbor across the street knocked on his door and asked if he could have it, to which my friend said fine, help yourself. Since that day, every time they put their trash out, these neighbors will be out there looking through it within minutes, sometimes before he's even got back to his door. Kinda creepy, if you ask me...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    A friend of mine tells the story of how a few years ago, he put an old, ratty armchair out in the trash. A little while later his neighbor across the street knocked on his door and asked if he could have it, to which my friend said fine, help yourself. Since that day, every time they put their trash out, these neighbors will be out there looking through it within minutes, sometimes before he's even got back to his door. Kinda creepy, if you ask me...
    A great point to remember is shred your personal info because you never know how many people can surf through your garbage. I shred just about everything!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    A great point to remember is shred your personal info because you never know how many people can surf through your garbage. I shred just about everything!
    Yup, I do too, and that IS a good point. A decent cross-cut shredder doesn't cost much these days, and will pay for itself very quickly, if only in the peace of mind it gives you. Most of them can do credit cards, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys you have seen nothing. We lived in Minors Lane Heights for almost ten years. The airport was buying the entire neighborhood and everytime someone would move they would put a lot of stuff out on the curb. There were many trucks (some with trailers) that would cruise the subdivision looking for people that were moving and had set their stuff out by the road.

I haven't seen anything like that in my life, but at the time prices for steel, aluminum, copper and other commondities were sky high.

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up, there was a guy in our neighborhood who rented out furnished apartments. Every trash day you'd see him driving through the alleys in his truck picking up what furniture people put out.