Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Saturday night heartbreak

So I just thought I would pass on this story from my weekend. I went to an after derby party on saturday night with a friend and I didnt know anyone there so I thought I would bring up fishing to see if I could get some conversation going. Well the guy who was hosting the party and some of his buddies quickly joined in and they were telling me how they really like catfishing and crappie fishing, and I told them how much I enjoy bass fishing. Well the guy hosting the party tells me how he really didnt bass fish but he lucked into a bunch of good bass a couple weeks ago on some nightcrawlers while fishing for some cats. I asked him where and he told me a strectch of creek that runs through his friends farm and I was interested on how he did. He proceeds to tell me that they had a bunch of small ones but that they had about 8 largemouth that weighed about 6 pounds each or so, and also had a smallmouth that went a little over 7 pounds. ( he said they had a rapala scale) Well by this point I am trying to be the guys new best friend hoping to get an invite for the next trip to this honey hole!!!! So I ask him if he had any pics of these hawgs that he caught cause I would love to see them....he says "NO I DIDN'T TAKE ANY PICS BUT I GOT THE FILLETS IN THE FREEZER IF YA WANNA SEE EM." Speechless........I finished my drink and got the hell outta there!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saturday night heartbreak

I don't ever keep any of the bass or hardly any of the fish I catch I would never feel any different about someone who does. Its not the end of the world. The guys pays for a liscense spends money on equipment and puts hus time in to catch fish and if he puts them in the freezer than that's his right. Its not ilegal especialy if they were all 6 or 7 pounds. He was well within his rights to do so and it changes nor effevts the way you fish. So, IMO, you shouldn't look down on him cause he keeps the LEGAL fish he catches to put on the tabel.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised he didn't try sell you some property...right on the beach LMAO.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a time I had to bring fish home to have meat on the table. I really don't like fish that much, if I do bring some home its usual Crappie. Today I tried to catch some crappie and had no luck so I brought 2 nice Bass home for the better half to eat. I am a Bass fisherman, tournament fishermen, and sportsmen, but I think if a person is fishing legal and want to fillet his catch it is his right. Belive me there are plenty of Bass in the lakes I fish, Ky Lake and Lake Barkley, Why do people become so arragant as to try and make everyone else live by the own rules.

Post Thanks / Like

8 fish from a CREEK weighing 6 pounds each? LOL, that guy was full of shat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlopFishin View Post
    i hope he still had his waders handy from that creek cause its getting DEEEP.....

Post Thanks / Like

why is it so hard to believe that someone caught these fish? this is the main reason i dont post my days on the water and what i caught or didnt catch because someone is always ready to piss on somebodys parade or let them know that they dont know what they are doing. now that i got that off my chest, does anyone have any advice for prefishing the T word?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lil skeeter View Post
    why is it so hard to believe that someone caught these fish? this is the main reason i dont post my days on the water and what i caught or didnt catch because someone is always ready to piss on somebodys parade or let them know that they dont know what they are doing. now that i got that off my chest, does anyone have any advice for prefishing the T word?
    I think it's hard to believe this guy since noone I have ever known has caught that many fish that big in one trip. That includes fishing for pre-spawn, bedding bass or post spawn in Florida. So it sounds like a fish story to me.

I think the guy was just bragging and telling fish tales. JMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    I think it's hard to believe this guy since noone I have ever known has caught that many fish that big in one trip. That includes fishing for pre-spawn, bedding bass or post spawn in Florida. So it sounds like a fish story to me.

I think the guy was just bragging and telling fish tales. JMO
    the guy might have been bragging, but most of the fish stories ive heard the big ones have always gotten away

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlopFishin View Post
    =========================
    That's just your opinion...right?
    Several years ago my father was dying of leukemia and and I did everything I could do to make his life easier and enjoyable for him. If you know anything about the weather in South Alabama, you know that there are days in November and December that are "shirt sleeve" weather. On Christmas Day, while the rest of the family made dinner, I drove Dad to his favorite place, Okatuppa Creek, and we stopped on a bridge to look down into a fairly large hole of water to see how clear it was for a fishing trip the next day. We saw large bass everywhere and Dad sat down on the side of the bridge to watch them.

To find his car without a fishing rod and a "Yellow Sally" (buzzbait) would be worse than finding him without his pants on. I hurried to the car and pulled out that old fishing rod and lure and carried them to Dad. I said, "Here Dad, catch us some fish for Christmas dinner." His eyes lit up as he made his first cast from the bridge... and the creek exploded. He hauled in a 7 pound largemouth; I was so afraid it would drop off the hook while hauling it up to the bridge that I was sweating. He was laughing and yelling like a little boy while having the time of his life. He did that repeatedly from a sitting position with his feet hanging over the side of the bridge. When our little ride was over, we carried 8 bass home with the smallest weighing 4 pounds.

I cleaned them, and even fried one for his late Christmas dinner, and put the rest in the freezer. I didn't feel guilty then and to this day I still don't. That was his last fishing trip and last Christmas dinner with us. Up until he died 3 months later, he told everyone about our little car ride that turned into the most incredible fishing trip of his life.

I like to think that, just maybe, someone was looking down on us and had those fish gathered there for that special time together for Dad and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a pretty special story bassin, sorry for your loss but glad you have a tale like like that to tell.

Post Thanks / Like

His 6 pound bass were probably carp and he didn't know the difference. Many many years ago I ran into a guy a Jacobson Park that told me he was fishing for steelhead. Maybe it's the same dude?