Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Smallmouth spawn done?

I was wondering if the smallies were done spawning in the local creeks around Ky yet? I went fishing in a creek a week or two ago and came up empty handed, thought maybe they were spawning, but with all this high water I wonder if they are running late? I would like to get back to the creek with my ultralight!

Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smallmouth spawn done?

Creek SMB usually will spawn in/around June- quite a bit later than the major reservoirs. Of course this is dependent upon the water levels and conditions. I've read elsewhere that they prefer 55-65 degree water for spawning.
    Last night was the May full moon which usually marks the first emergence of the crayfish for the year. Creek smallies will begin feeding more- fattening up for a late May/June Spawn. Unfortunately, here in the Louisville area, we are pretty flooded out. Floyd's Fork is blasting, Harrods is way up, and the Elkhorn is flowing at 2820 cfs.

Peter posted a really good, very relatable, article on this year's creek SMB fishing forecast from Lee McClellen of the KDFWR.

Post Thanks / Like

where can I find the article?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bnt5 View Post
    where can I find the article?

I thought I read this on here, but I couldn't find the thread. Here's the link for it at the KDFWR website:

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=494
    Last edited by ON3 3Y3D WILLI3; 05-10-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: I wanted to

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting...I live around Bloomington, In and have creek fished for smallies for about 10 yrs.......and have noticed them spawning much earlier than that. In fact, I walked a stretch of favorite creek about two weeks ago and watched several females on their beds. It was neat to see, but I waited to catch them another time! FYI, I'm speaking of shallow, rocky, wadable creeks....with the deepest holes being 4-5 ft. deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey whats up man? I am unsure when smallies spawn, but from my experience fishing in creeks in the southern central part of the state is that right now the water seems just a little to high for the smallies. I went to the Drakes the other day and the water was way to high. Caught one 13 in smallie and a handful or 10+ in spotteds. Also on the Gasper river, the water is at normal summer time level and smallies and spots are on fire. Just through jigs and small floating cranks. I have the best luck fishing for smallies in the late summer during those super hot days for some reason when the water is very very low. Good luck