Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

10lb bass caught on public lake on Jefferson Forest

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/outdoors/blog.html

Not sure if this has been posted but WOW. He caught it off a bed. Its only a 5 acre lake but dont plan on going catching that fish it was not released. Not that I blame the kid any 15 year olds who dont have a serious bass fishing background catch a fish that size and it isnt going back. Just wish he knew about replicas. Nice fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10lb bass caught on public lake on Jefferson Forest

Sadly, I did the same thing. I was eight years old when I caught a 7lb 90z LM off the nest in a pay lake. The owner was crying when I took it home. I also wish I had returned all my big cats back when I was yourng. I guess this is why as we get older, some of us get a little wiser.

Post Thanks / Like

His fish he can do what he wants.Nothing worse than critisizing someone or much less a kid for keeping there own trophy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KY47 View Post
    His fish he can do what he wants.Nothing worse than critisizing someone or much less a kid for keeping there own trophy.
    I didnt think I was being that critical. He didnt eat it he is getting it mounted. You can do that without keeping the fish. I dont blame anybody for getting a trophy of a lifetime mounted. Its just a shame more people dont know about replicas. Heck he could of ate the fish and still got it mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that people know about the replica but the price is what makes them mount the real fish. If you could get a replica for about the same price there would be alot less big fish being killed. And in this economy I cant blame people for wanting to save as much money as they can. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Post Thanks / Like

caught legally, he is entitled to do with the fish what he chooses. with age comes widom (regarding conservation) but at 15 i am certain i would have done the same exact thing. it is also my opinion that for the majority of outdoorsman, conservation becomes more of an issue AFTER they have one (pick your animal) on the wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Im 33 and would have ran that right to the taxidermist.Better i catch'em than one of the many foreign trout poachers up there.By the way those bass in that lake are extremely hard to catch even when there on the nest.Highly pressured lake and well fed bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely, if ever keep fish - even crappies when I catch them, but I believe that 99% of the population would keep a 10lb LM. How many have ever even been caught in KY?

Post Thanks / Like

I personally do not like to kill big fish because it takes so long for them to reach trophy size, and if that fish becomes a state, natiaonal or world record then it is worth it. I just feel that the smaller fish are much better tasting fish to eat. And as you all have said many times, have a replica made. I don't have any problem if a family needs food for the table, but most of us don't need to eat a big fish that badly. However, I think in most cases most people who fish let the big fish go these days. Its a matter of education and the willingness to change attitudes that allows us to what is best in any given situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 10lb bass caught on public lake on Jefferson Forest

Well too do a replica you need a picture and i bet he had too go home for that.A pictue is worth a 1000 words but the real thing is much better.I would do the same thing.Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Let the bashing begin, but if I ever put a 10lb Greenfish in the net, into the livewell she will go, onto the dry ice she will be and hanging on my wall she will end. Hooked one that I know was 10 in early April at Barkley and still can see my rattle trap being spit back at me as she "attempted" to jump. When Dave Stewart has had 3 - 10lb Greenfish in his boat, considering the 250 days a year on the water for 146 years he has been guiding, they are not easily caught. I had my one shot and will never get another but if I do and she is netted then she will be hanging on my wall. The sad part is that I would let a 10lb Smallie go, after she is officially weighed and photographed and a 10lb Smallie is so many times more elusive than a 10lb Greenfish will ever be, not to mention the 10lb Smallie is in the top 5 of ALL TIME, but I would have no problem in letting her go. Just love my Brownfish more than Greenfish.

Post Thanks / Like

A replicas just a toy and looks like crap.Taking that once in a lifetime conquest and have it looking at you on the wall is much more satisfying.And if knew someone i cared about could catch it again i might let it go after pics,but in a public lake where a bunch of yahoos are,nahhhh.That fish be mine!