Search Fishin.com

Thread: shakey head

Post Thanks / Like

shakey head

Do you have to use a spinning rod for this or a baitcaster if a baitcaster can be used what action and lenght rod is the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: shakey head

i prefer to use a spinning rod as im sure most people do but you can use a baitcaster with a little bit heavier head....if i throw it on a baitcaster i like a 7' medium rod...you might even be able to get away with a medium heavy

Post Thanks / Like

I have used them both but I prefer the baitcaster. You can handle the fish a lil better. I throw a shimano cumara 7'2" medium rod and it seems to do just fine for me. I was using a G.loomis shakey head spinning rod and it worked fine I just couldnt keep as many fish on as I could with the cumara rod.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a gloomis glx and a cumara both 6'8'' that i use for a shakey head i am more partial to my loomis cause its a tad more stiffer but i have tried a baitcaster for a shakey head and i cannot seem to work it as easily as i can on a spinning outfit...... i hope this helps....

Post Thanks / Like

I use an 1/8 oz head, med. 7ft spinning rod and 10 lb line. I work it mostly around rock banks. I can't seem to get as much as a sniff on it. I use the basic black or natural colors. Where am I going wrong? Hell the bluegill won't even peck at it.

Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

10lb line thats where your going wrong if i was guessing and i would try the robo worm in martins magic in the 6 inch..... that is honestly about the only color i throw.... sometimes i dip the tail in spike it....about an inch or so...

Post Thanks / Like

I have used both (spinning and castings) set-ups. I prefer the spinning set-up more. Mainly because I tend to work it too fast to be effective with a casting set up. I have GLX spinning rod for my go-to shakey head set up. Like Ryan said, it is stiffer than some rods, and I can get good hook sets.

Reaction innovation's flirts are my favorite worms - just the right size, and great action. 8lb. line is what works best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

i use a 7'0 m action johnny morris rod or extreem 7'0 m rod spin cast on 8lb line it seems to work good for me mostley use 1/16 or 1/8 oz and a black grape robo worm or martins magic i also like to use zoom tric worms black grape or green pumpkin. hope this might help.

chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I fish them extensively and have had good success with a Loomis BSR 852 GLX spinning rod and a Loomis BCR 802 GLX casting rod with a tuned MG50 on it. I tend to use the spinning for ligher rigs and the baitcasting for 1/8 heads and bigger.

My preference is to throw baitcasting any time I can but as said by someone else, I tend to work the bait faster on the casting equipment. Not an issue if the fish like that pace. I prefer baitcasting because I'm more accurate and can spool 12# FC without issue.

Case in point, I was down in Florida last month and they were hitting the shakey almost upon entry. I found I was more effective getting on them quickly with the casting gear and I can make two casts with baitcaster to every one I'd make with spinning.

I guess the fish have to tell you what speed. By my observation, I'd say 8 out of 10 guys prefer spinning gear so my baitcasting preference is in the minority.

Post Thanks / Like

The key to the right rod for shakey head fishing is in the tip of the rod. That SHOULD be the only thing that's moving when using that technique, at least to do it right anyway. That being said, lighter actions tend to be better in order to find the right tip. What I'm saying is you want a VERY limber tip to the rod, but a little bit of backbone as well. I've built several shakey head rods and had quite a few other blanks in my hands and by far the best I've found is a medium/light with a fast tip. The one a I like the best is actually an inshore blank but it has the perfect action. It's a 7 footer. I've built them as both baitcasters and spinning rods. If the action is right then it makes casting a light weight with a baitcaster as easy as it is with a spinning rod, but again it HAS to have the limber tip. When I build one as a baitcaster I build them as a spiral wrap so the line lays in the guides just right. One thing I've noticed is that very few people use a light enough action for this technique. If the jighead has the right hook and the right type of worm is used with the right line, you won't miss on the hookset.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I think I will go with a spinning rod thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both and found i really like using 8# fluoro spooled on a prolite finesse baitcasting reel with the prolite 6'6' ml rod for this technique. I use a strike king 3x finesse worm in green pumpkin and I put it on the gambler 1/4 oz. giggy head. They even like that at the dirty T.
    Last edited by MLTSPCS; 05-27-2009 at 04:01 AM.