Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Firearms Registration and Licensiing

I received an email about this but it was difficult to read. I checked it out on TRUTH OR FICTION and found that it is true. Their discription is better than what I got in the email so I have copied it below. TIME TO START WRITING YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND SENATORS AGAIN.

Congress Introduced a Bill to Register Firearms and Owners

Summary of the eRumor:

A forwarded email that says that Congress introduced HR-45, the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. The bill will make it mandatory for gun owners to have firearms registered and provide their Social Security numbers, drivers licenses, thumb prints and submit to a physical and mental evaluation.

There is a HR-45 bill that was introduce to the 111th Congress by Illinois Representative Bobby Rush by the title of "The Blair Holt Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009." The purpose of the bill, according its description in the Thomas legislative information directory of the Library of Congress, is "To provide for the implementation of a system of licensing for purchasers of certain firearms and for a record of sale system for those firearms, and for other purposes." Currently, the bill has been referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security. The bill calls for universal background checks of gun owners, the keeping of records of maintenance and permits, the prevention of child access to firearms, the notification that the gun owner had changed addresses within 60 days and mandatory reporting to the Attorney General of loss or theft of firearms within 72 hours.

If passed, the bill would require gun owners to fill out an application for a firearm license and provide name, address, birthday, place of birth, any known aliases, a passport sized photograph and a thumb print. The applicant will also have to sign a statement declaring that they are not prohibited by the state or federal government from possessing a firearm. Part of the process included is the signing of a certification that the firearm will be safely stored and out of the reach of minors. The bill also says that the fee for the license is not to exceed $25US.

The bill also requires a written firearm safety examination be passed testing the gun owner's knowledge in storage, handling, use, state, local and federal legal responsibilities and "any other subjects, as the Attorney General determines to be appropriate."

The bill does not call for physical or mental evaluations but require "authorization by the applicant to release to the Attorney General or an authorized representative of the Attorney General any mental health records pertaining to the applicant."

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is keeping a watchful eye on the progress of this bill, calling it a "licensing and registration scheme" and noting that it will "further require the attorney general to establish a database of every handgun sale, transfer, and owner's address in America."

END OF TRUTH OR FICTION QUOTE.

Unfortunatly when I delete the tags, I also took out the links to the Bill and the NRA sites. Do a Google search and you can get more info.

Groumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Firearms Registration and Licensiing

Her is a C and P of a reply I received from my Congressman when I inquired as to his position on this matter.

April 23, 2009

Dear Mr. Tyme2fish, (I substituted my Screen name here)

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about H.R. 45, the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this legislation.

As you know, H.R. 45 would implement a national system of licensing for buyers of certain firearms and maintain a record of sale system for those firearms. In addition, the bill would require the Attorney General to establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse and conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries.

I understand your concerns with such a registry system. I am ardent support of the Second Amendment and believe that all citizens in the United States have a constitutional right to bear arms. Throughout my time as a legislator in the Indiana State Legislature and the U.S. Congress, I have been a proud supporter of gun owners' rights and will continue to work hard to protect your Constitutional right to bear arms. As a lifelong sportsman and gun owner, I understand the benefits of responsible gun ownership.

Thank you again for contacting me about this important issue. Please do not hesitate to call my office at 202-225-5315 with any further questions or concerns. If you would like to sign up for my periodic email newsletter, please visit http://baronhill.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Baron P. Hill

Member of Congress

////////////////////////////////////////////

Now nowhere in his response did he say he was for or against this Bill. However, he sure as heck knows my position on this matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Tyme2fish, I would be interested in seeing the letter that you wrote to them. Maybe some of us can use your example.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Grumpy, I do not have a copy of the e-mail I sent as it was a "contact me" link on Baron Hill's web site.

The gist of my message was that I was totally opposed to this restrictive bill and that my vote in the next election will be greatly influenced by his vote on this bill. ( I never vote Democrat in State or Federal elections but Hill doesn't know that yet.!!!! )

Senators Baye and Lugar will also receive a message if this bill passes the house and goes to the Senate.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this photo:

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/tech...sejpg.jpg.html

That says a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_bug View Post
    Check out this photo:

http://www.olegvolk.net/gallery/tech...sejpg.jpg.html

That says a lot.
    It's always like that. Do as I say not as I do. Oh yeah that goes with taxes as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have sent my opposition message to McConnell as well as Royce Adams, Geoff Davis, and Damon Thayer.

Hope it helps with there decision.

Join the fight send your opinions.

BB1