Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lure Brand Opinion

In hope to consolidate all of my fishing equipment I have been thinking of choosing one brand of lures, specifically soft plastics ...

Any opinions on YUM or Strike King?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lure Brand Opinion

I think you'll be making a mistake if you do that, just my opinion though. For example there are certain times of the year when I am jig fishing that a paca chunck trailer is what I can catch fish on, other times they want the strike king rage tail chunck, and other the zoom trailer. I love zoom flukes, but catch more fish on the blaze version of the brush hogs. Everything seems to have a little different action and look. Not even the pro's are that loyal to a brand. The best way I have found to consolidate is to buy only the lures I have confidence in and that produces fish and cut back on my "that looks good" purchases. There is no way I could only throw one brand of lures across the board. But it's your call and your tackle box.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Pastorbass. Try limiting the number of colors of soft plastics you carry during certain seasons. Like right now lizards are a great bait. Stick with your watermellon, pumpkin, green pumpkin's but get several different manufactures lizards and you can see what action the fish like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbass View Post
    I think you'll be making a mistake if you do that, just my opinion though. For example there are certain times of the year when I am jig fishing that a paca chunck trailer is what I can catch fish on, other times they want the strike king rage tail chunck, and other the zoom trailer. I love zoom flukes, but catch more fish on the blaze version of the brush hogs. Everything seems to have a little different action and look. Not even the pro's are that loyal to a brand. The best way I have found to consolidate is to buy only the lures I have confidence in and that produces fish and cut back on my "that looks good" purchases. There is no way I could only throw one brand of lures across the board. But it's your call and your tackle box.
    ya you are right i like a zoom fluke but there are times that a slug-go works better and with the zoonm trick worms i like them but some times they want a robo worm the list can go on and on. but stick with things you have confidence in like pastorbass said. and consolidate with the things that work instead of the things that dont.

just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

I like to have many options when fishing and cant use just one brand. Dont forget about less popular brands like REACTION INOVATIONS - beavers in paticular also PROWLER - stubby tubes. many of your less popular brands fish have not seen, therefore are more likley to take. Some of these baits may look strange and have funny names but they work just as good as a Zoom, Yum, or Strike King mabye better.

Post Thanks / Like

I like certain brands for example I like rage craws, and hard nose craws.
    I like slupies dip stick worms. It seems to me the softer the plastic the better the action. Just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with GITN-JIGY. I've went fishing twice this past week and caught the crap out of L-mouth bass on sweet beavers. I'm planning on going back Monday or Tuesday if it is not raining.

Post Thanks / Like

my opinion is to take everything you can that away you cant say i wish I had tried this or that

Post Thanks / Like

Fly fish baby!! Feathers and fur all the way!

But no, I wouldn't consolidate. I've got every brand known to man in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are wanting the choice in one brand I think you can't go wrong with Zoom. They about every soft plastic know to man and they all catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Zoom if I had to pick just one, but why in the heck do you want to do that, big mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to manage my plastics by season and day/night. Also I have reduced the amount by only using a few colors. You can fill your boat with 20 different colors. I have narrowed it down to a green pumpkin variation and a dark color. None of the color mix match stuff. Crankbaits are different though. I put a range of baits in a 12x20 container that I will use on that trip and leave the other 100lbs at home. By the way, I didn't see Powerbaits on here.......Good stuff!