Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: head lights for a boat

Never said you were a moron for asking the question. The morons are the people running WOT with fricking headlights on their boats blinding the rest of us. Calm down.

Post Thanks / Like

They were ticketing head lights on nolin last weekend. I think if you need head light to run after dark you should not be on the water.
    If it is one on one it is easy to tell right away but like after the fireworks on barren last year we almost ran over someone thinking we were coming up behind them and the were coming at us. I hope they start ticketing everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I use headlamps on my duck boat while motoring in the timber. No other boats around so blinding them is not an issue. The problem I run into is the handhelds require too much amperage to operate therefore I am using the new LED lamps. These lamps draw less than an amp actually .4 amps. and are very bright. Not cheap but effective link below

http://www.grote.com/product.php?pro...63611&x=18&y=7

Post Thanks / Like

I use a remote control light that mounts to the bow light socket on the nose of the boat. Along w/ the spotlight, it also has the red / green lights that work independently. It's made by a company called "Go Light" and while it's not cheap, it's been well worth it for me. (about $250) As far as using it as a headlight, I do. If you don't on Cumberland, you'll buy a new lower unit every night. When I meet an oncoming boat, I turn off the spot and come off plane til we pass. I've never been ticketed for this, and I'm sure they've seen me a few times. If they do, I guess I can afford a ticked much more than a new lower unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!! I will look into the LED lights. Since I would be fishing for eight to ten hours at a time it sounds like I need something that will not draw alot of amperage.

Post Thanks / Like

I have headlights on my boat, and when i know there is debris i will run with them on from time to time. As far as running with them on the whole time at night. No, I dont think there is a need for anyone to do that. I will use them to look at points from a distance and then find markers and things and run with them on a little bit. When you approach another boat I turn them off. Everyone should turn them off when another boat approaches. What im really trying to say is Its fine to put them on there for docking and using them for when you need them, but to run with them on all the time at night, there is no need for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman0625 View Post
    I have headlights on my boat, and when i know there is debris i will run with them on from time to time. As far as running with them on the whole time at night. No, I dont think there is a need for anyone to do that. I will use them to look at points from a distance and then find markers and things and run with them on a little bit. When you approach another boat I turn them off. Everyone should turn them off when another boat approaches. What im really trying to say is Its fine to put them on there for docking and using them for when you need them, but to run with them on all the time at night, there is no need for that.
    I agree with this. I don't even use mine when there is debris and the moon is out. I can scan the water easier and further without them.

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone took time to actually read the regulations, you'd see here's the part that refers to additional lights on a boat:

(4) On a vessel under way between sunset and sunrise, an operator shall not display other lights which could be mistaken for the lights specified in this section.

That's located right above the part about signaling devices.

Post Thanks / Like

Docking lights for intercoastal night running.

Any one know of laws on the use of docking lights for night running on Intercoastal?

My biggest risk is unlighted channel markers and dark docks. On a dark night W/O 125 watt Leds I can just barely see both hazards from 50 feet / with lights on I can clearly see them at 200 yards. I can see both banks and and water hazzards.

As soon as an on coming boat is identified I turn them off.

I am posting because a channel marker came out of nowhere a scarred the **** out of me last night

What would a marine patrol say if they stopped me with docking lights on during a night run...

First time post..

Post Thanks / Like

Running above idle speed at night is dangerous IMHO

Is there a speed limit at night on lakes in KY?

Quote Originally Posted by aceoky View Post
    Well.......ummm since we ONLY meet another vessel "head on"......

The "rules of the water" ARE quite specific and WHY there are red/green lights.........

I'll be happy to post them for you IF you need to read them AND why any "brighter lights" making the red/green not clearly visible is not only a violation but also dangerous IMO....

Do as you wish and IF you end up causing an accident (God forbid) just explain to the officer how you "were so right" I'm sure they'll see it your way

I don't know where you boat (or how often at night) but I DO know how it is on Laurel at night, some going 50 mph+ at night , some doing under 10 mph , some slow trolling and some anchored or tied up , (and this can be found virtually everywhere on the lake, main lake points, by the channel, in the channel at times.....) there is NO room for "confusion" IMHO.... you may very well know what you're doing , but how can others IF they can't tell which way you're heading due to no visible green or red and being Blinded to boot?

Obviously you don't seem to "see it that way", even though many have posted here about being blinded by this practice, IS it worth the risk to you?

You get two or three (or more) boats doing 50 mph (or more) coming down the lake, blinded and confused , it's a recipe for disaster maybe not "every time" but once is once too often IMHO

It's not "to me" (and I'd guess most of us here) and I can't see "the need" in doing so, lighting up buoys or bank momentarily yes, "running down the lake" with them?????? What is the point anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

GE 4509 halogen

There 13 volt & 100 watts. I'd mount one on the trolling motor/ I've had them both ways & my current boat has 2 mounted on it, but i prefer the single mounted on trolling motor every time. I actually had the water patrol tell me i had the brightest lights he'd ever saw.