Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegills n shellcrackers???

Anybody know a place I can take my nephews and catch a mess while they are still on the nest? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bluegills n shellcrackers???

My son and I had 27 in 45 mins on Barren. They were way shallow in the Skaggs Creek cuts and all caught on red worms.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you where not to go: Elmer Davis Lake.

My brother and I were all excited to try that lake out and we took a day off from work to haul the kayaks up there for some bluegill and shellcracker action last week. The lake is beautiful, but it was a dead sea. I think we caught 2 bluegill and 1 crappie is almost 3 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I can tell you where not to go: Elmer Davis Lake.

My brother and I were all excited to try that lake out and we took a day off from work to haul the kayaks up there for some bluegill and shellcracker action last week. The lake is beautiful, but it was a dead sea. I think we caught 2 bluegill and 1 crappie is almost 3 hours.
    Know1, There was a post sometime last week about them possibly spraying the weeds that sent the fish into deep water or something to that effect.
    Typically that lake is dynamite this time of year. What did the water look like. Was it stained at all? I may go this weekend. This warm weather should bring the gills on bed if they are not already there.

BB1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaBass1 View Post
    Know1, There was a post sometime last week about them possibly spraying the weeds that sent the fish into deep water or something to that effect.
    Typically that lake is dynamite this time of year. What did the water look like. Was it stained at all? I may go this weekend. This warm weather should bring the gills on bed if they are not already there.

BB1
    I saw that post, but it's hard to believe you can fish with popeyes and wax worms and basically not even get any bites. We also tried deep as well.

This was the first time I've ever gone there, but it looked like the water was maybe slightly stained, but mostly clear.

Post Thanks / Like

fished elemer last nite water was clear and shellcrackers or red ears is on nest on the bank weeds are getting a little thiner we did see a couple of guys with a basket full of them at 6 they had none and at 9 they had im going to guess 40 to 50 the bass r picking up in the grass there was 43 boats out there sat morin and most of the were pan fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I saw that post, but it's hard to believe you can fish with popeyes and wax worms and basically not even get any bites. We also tried deep as well.

This was the first time I've ever gone there, but it looked like the water was maybe slightly stained, but mostly clear.

That is my goto bait as well. Really surprised you couldn't find them. That lake will out produce most i've been to for big bluegill.

Don't let that 1st time discourage you from fishin that lake. It is a good one.

I'm still going to try and get there one day this weekend.

BB1

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys.

Post Thanks / Like

hay beaver i have had people tell me ky lake was on fire and catching big hand size blue gills and shell crackers. my buddy just got back a few days ago and said it was unreal. pretty good little drive but he said it was good eatin.

Post Thanks / Like

you also got beaver lake ive been getting my limit on shellcrackers everyday for about 2 weeks now there on bed had some 12 and 13 inch ones

Post Thanks / Like

I went fishing monday.caught 20 shellcrackers and 20 bluegill off the nest with wax worms.