Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Depth finder problem

Okay guys I have a problem and need a little help.I have a Hummingbird 525 depth finder that has the transducer mounted in the hull,,Its only displaying 1.6 depth no matter how deep of water im in,running or sitting still,the temp.display is reading right but its not showing the right depth or fish,,,,i've adjusted everything on the menu from auto to manual,checked the transducer and its free of debree and still sitting tight...it was working fine a couple of weeks ago but now its not....anyone have any input on what else i can do or check before spending money on a new one? thanks in advance !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Depth finder problem

I'm no expert, but if somehow a bubble has formed between it and the hull, you could try putting enough water in the hull to cover the mounting surface where the puck is. If a bubble is causing the problem, this would fill it with water and make it work again.

Clint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clintcone View Post
    I'm no expert, but if somehow a bubble has formed between it and the hull, you could try putting enough water in the hull to cover the mounting surface where the puck is. If a bubble is causing the problem, this would fill it with water and make it work again.

Clint
    Actually, Clint's pretty close. I would say one of two things, either like he said about having an air bubble form (however less likely if it has worked a few days/week before and had time to set), or it didn't set properly and possibly has a crack or seperation in the epoxy. Sometimes using 5-min vs. 30-min epoxy can create problems like this, or if you didn't sand/prime the area of fiberglass you put the transducer. But just to make sure, you did epoxy a "shoot-thru" transducer and not a "Thru Hull" one right?

Post Thanks / Like

turn on the unit and in a quiet place, like a garage or where ever, and see it the transducer is making a clicking sound. it should be, if not your transducer is shot and only the temp probe is working. also, do you take it on and off a mount? or is it installed in the dash, if you take it off a mount, make sure to check the pins where they connect in the back. last option, but i should have told you this first. i would run a system check on it. when you turn on advanced user mode, click over to the view menu and select view startup diagnostics. it will tell you if the transducer is communicating. hope this helps, if not go to www.yahoosideimaging.com

Post Thanks / Like

sorry got the link wrong, try this. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging
    if what i told you does not work, i can guarentee you these guys can, some of them on the board work for humminbird.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys but the problem wasn't in the transducer or unit,,got in touch with hummingbird and they told me to check the transducer wire and make sure it wasn't touching or wrapped around any other wires,,,well sure enough it was wrapped tight against the power wire and was causing interference with the readings,I guess when I had the kill switch replaced they must have done it by mistake,,,who knows,,,anyway thanks for the help..