Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question: Ryan EKUBASS

If I remember correctly, didn't you just recently purchase a Ranger 188vs/vx w/175 Pro XS? How do you like it so far? Does it ride well? Do you have any regrets? Would you have bought a larger boat if you had it to do over?

I'm thinking about getting a new 188VX w/175 Pro XS or HPDI. I've really got no need to get anything bigger because all I fish in Nolin, Rough and Barren.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: Ryan EKUBASS

Bump

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    If I remember correctly, didn't you just recently purchase a Ranger 188vs/vx w/175 Pro XS? How do you like it so far? Does it ride well? Do you have any regrets? Would you have bought a larger boat if you had it to do over?

I'm thinking about getting a new 188VX w/175 Pro XS or HPDI. I've really got no need to get anything bigger because all I fish in Nolin, Rough and Barren.
    yeah we got one last year and we love it i havent got no complaints other than i would have gotten a tandem trailer for the boat.... the 175 pro xs pushes the boat about 60 or so and it rides smooth.... all ihave ever done is blow a fuse on the motor once and i think it was my fault..... i wouldnt want a bigger boat cause its almost 19 foot and has plenty of room... we got the tournament package so it has led lights in the rod lockers and dry boxes.... i have had it in about 3 or so foot waves as big as dale and cland can dish out and it done fine..... its also a very stable boat too... my dad is a big feller and when he is in the back he likes to move around and in our smaller 17.5 foot ranger i about took a dip a time or two when he stepped to the edge but this one is very stable..... if u buy a larger boat the price tag significantly goes up... but i wouldnt own nothing but a ranger and our boat fulfills all the aspects of fishing..... but if u are not going to be trailering it a long distance the single axle would be fine..... but the dual axle will make it easier to haul and stuff... the tires almost burnt off the trailer comign back from texas.... when i got home one tire was showing threads in a cupped pattern and the other was almost worn out... we took it to pittsburg marine and ranger give us 2 new tires and a whole new axle underneath it... and anytime i have ever had a problem ranger has fixed it even in texas.... i got stuck on a sand bar and tried backing off of it... PS alwasy close your livewell flap.... i was backing up and it was blowing mud and grit up my livewell pipe... it blew mud on the top inside of the livewell lid... but to make a long story short day before tourney at 4 pm i turned my pumps on they short circuted and died... took the boat to a ranger dealer in dallas by abour 445 and they stayed later to fix it for me.... and it was all waranty work...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping with boat sales the way they are I can get a new one for under 30K. I just don't want to pay 30K for a 18.8 ft boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm hoping with boat sales the way they are I can get a new one for under 30K. I just don't want to pay 30K for a 18.8 ft boat.
    good luck with that... ours was 37 but we put gps... the tournament package with the soft ride seats livewell lights adn some other stuff... we also upgraded from the standard 150 opti to the 175 opti pro xs and put the 80 lb thrust minnkota with lift assist... hot foot and black light plugs... and livewell pump out and remote oil fill.....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. That's a lot of coin for a 18.8 ft boat. Looks like I may go in the used boat direction or keep the one I got. I may just look for a 05-07 519VX. I've found them for anywhere from 23K - 31K.
    However, I did have a 2008 188VX (Comanche Package) w/175HPDI quoted from David Fritts Outdoors for 33K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryan_ekubass View Post
    good luck with that... ours was 37 but we put gps... the tournament package with the soft ride seats livewell lights adn some other stuff... we also upgraded from the standard 150 opti to the 175 opti pro xs and put the 80 lb thrust minnkota with lift assist... hot foot and black light plugs... and livewell pump out and remote oil fill.....
    Just bought a new 2009 Ranger 198VX with 200 Etec for 28K. How'd I do? Now if I can just find time to use it. I've had it for over a week and still haven't had it out on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Better change your name to "OORANGER" now ehh??? LOL...Congrats on the new boat.

Post Thanks / Like

That seams like a good price for a 198. I have been considering a Ranger 188, 198 or a Stratos 294. Where did you buy your boat?

Ranger John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjohn View Post
    That seams like a good price for a 198. I have been considering a Ranger 188, 198 or a Stratos 294. Where did you buy your boat?

Ranger John
    I bought it from a guy that won it in a tournament and he didn't need it.