Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Handheld GPS units

Does anybody know of any cell phone service that has GPS software with lake maps that show depth contours, etc.? or any reasonably priced handhelds? I fish from a couple of different boats and would like something portable... Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Handheld GPS units

Quote Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
    Does anybody know of any cell phone service that has GPS software with lake maps that show depth contours, etc.? or any reasonably priced handhelds? I fish from a couple of different boats and would like something portable... Thanks
    you can download navionics hot maps on a I-phone for $40.00 or so. or you can get a lowrance H2O ifinder for $169.00 and a navionics chip 08 for $99.00 they both show lake depths and contour lines, and you can use both for road maps to.

chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smuckey41 View Post
    you can download navionics hot maps on a I-phone for $40.00 or so. or you can get a lowrance H2O ifinder for $169.00 and a navionics chip 08 for $99.00 they both show lake depths and contour lines, and you can use both for road maps to.

chuck
    Thanks... I'm new to all of this GPS stuff. Does the chip for this region have all of our local lakes... TVille, Nolin, Barren, Rough, Cedar? Anybody here own the H20 ifinder? How is it? Thanks again...

Post Thanks / Like

I have the H2O Color unit with a Fishing Hot Spots Elite map in it. The map does not include much detail on Cedar but the other maps where you would find a Fishing Hot Spot map in walmart has the same map as you see in the hard copy version.

It takes these units a while to boot up compared to a car unit but they are OK.

My first unit stopped locking on satelites about 2 months before warrenty expired but I did not see the problem until after my year expired. Cost me another $160 to get it repaired. After about 18 months, this one seems to be holding up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
    Thanks... I'm new to all of this GPS stuff. Does the chip for this region have all of our local lakes... TVille, Nolin, Barren, Rough, Cedar? Anybody here own the H20 ifinder? How is it? Thanks again...
    the navionics chip has all the local lakes with good contour lines and depths. i think navionics makes the best chip maps.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Handheld GPS units

I purchased the Lowrance IFINDER H2O earlier this year based upon recommendations from Board Members. Also, purchased the Novionics Hotmaps Premium SD EAST map card. Have been very pleased with both. I do the majority of my fishing on Lake Cumberland. In addition to the map details, I use it a lot for navagitation, especially at night or when the "Fog Rolls In", which can be quite common on LC (still carry a compass and map as a fall back resource). Would highly recommment the unit for consideration.