Search Fishin.com

Thread: Outboard Oil?

Post Thanks / Like

Outboard Oil?

I usually buy merc premium plus but all the dealers have closed around me, now when I go to basspro, I get the quick silver prem plus. I read the container and it said it was made by mecury, so I said what the heck and used it, just curious to see what other people run in there mercury engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Outboard Oil?

Quicksilver is the same stuff as the Mercury oil. I was told that years ago dealers got upset about Mercury selling their oil to discount stores and fishing supply stores. So Mercury repackaged the oil being sold to non-dealer stores as Quicksilver. I used both in my 2002 Merc and have seen no difference. I too run only premium plus.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outboard Oil?

Quicksilver is only an aftermarket subsidiary of Mercury. There oils are likely the same, and when you buy Quicksilver parts you will notice they are considerably cheaper than Merc parts.

I would recommend the Quicksilver parts and oils for anyone who can't find Merc brand parts, or anyone trying to pinch some pennies.

I probably worked at one of those dealerships that you spoke of that shut down, and we carried a lot of Quicksilver parts. When performing services we used Quicksilver filters, oils, impellers, etc -- unless the customer made it clear that they wanted Merc brand parts.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 1988 mercury black max xr4 rebuilt motor and i also use quicksilver fore the most part if i can find it. if not i will go to walmart and use penzoil XLF and i cant tell a diffrence in those two oils except one is cheeper then the other.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been useing the cheapest 2 cycle oil at Wal-Mart.
    My 20 hp Merc is 19 yrs old and has never been in the shop.
    I use it weekly and always run it wide open.
    You all can spend more if you want.

Post Thanks / Like

An old bass club I was in purchased a 55 gallon drum of Penzoil for all to use and that included Mercs, Yamaha, Suzuki and Evinrude motors noone ever had a problem. I never used it because I was a new boat owner and was going to follow the advice of the Yamaha shop.....my motor blew anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I put quick silver prem plus in for the first time, few weeks back thought I would ask peoples opinions before I bought anymore. Its always good to here peoples advice on what they like. Thanks

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EZGO View Post
    I usually buy merc premium plus but all the dealers have closed around me, now when I go to basspro, I get the quick silver prem plus. I read the container and it said it was made by mecury, so I said what the heck and used it, just curious to see what other people run in there mercury engines.
    I use the Penzoil Marine Oil, it has TCW3 that my 1995 75 HP Merc calls for.
    I buy it in 1 gal jugs at K-mart, who consistently under prices Walmart. Motor is now 14 years old, has been run hard, and never had a lick of plug or cylinder problems. Runs clean and fires up quick to this day.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is a little confusing about Merc/Quicksilver oil is that they have a premium and then the prem.plus. The plus has more additives to reduce carbon buildup etc. and is recommended for the larger HP V-6 motors. The regular "prem" is more for the smaller motors, although I would still use the plus myself.

Post Thanks / Like

The Merc plus is also a synthetic blend while the premium is straight dino, both with additives. Pennzoil premium plus and xlf are both also syn blends. None of them say how much is syn though. I honestly think under 100 hp any good tcw3 oil will be fine. I switched this spring from Merc oils to XLF for price and availability and can tell no difference. I have read the synthetics and blends burn cleaner (less carbon).