Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fluorocarbon line

I know this is somewhat of a loaded question. No two fisherman ever agree on line. And I have fished with Dave S. and respect his opinion very much. He does not like fluoro. But when I hear the pro's talk they just slobber all over it. I know some of them are getting paid to say that, but like anyone else I would do almost anything to improve my catch. I wonder if I am missing out. I know I have saved a lot of money the last couple yrs. as it has been that long since I used it. I hated the stiffness then. What are your thoughts. Thanks, Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fluorocarbon line

The best floro I've used has been Halo, I am not using it right now cause I'm trying something else. I love floro but hate the break offs. There are lots of good lines out I hear these guys talk highly of Seagar but I cant afford to try them all. Just too many and I got too many reel$ to spool.

Stoner

Post Thanks / Like

I had terrible luck with the cheaper floro lines and would suggest they be avoided.

I've found one more expensive Floro that has good knot strenght and I like the sensitivity. I use it for all my bottom bouncing rigs. It does not make me a world class fisherman but I do have confidence and several years of using it now.

Post Thanks / Like

i love fluorocarbon line. i would stay away from vanish i had nothing but proublems every time i used it. i like the p-line halo and i just got some of the p-line 100% fluorocarbon but have not used it yet but if p-line makes it i am sure it is good. other lines i like is p-line fluoclear and the berkley 100% fluorcarbon. hope this helps

thanks
    chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ukbass View Post
    I know this is somewhat of a loaded question. No two fisherman ever agree on line. And I have fished with Dave S. and respect his opinion very much. He does not like fluoro. But when I hear the pro's talk they just slobber all over it. I know some of them are getting paid to say that, but like anyone else I would do almost anything to improve my catch. I wonder if I am missing out. I know I have saved a lot of money the last couple yrs. as it has been that long since I used it. I hated the stiffness then. What are your thoughts. Thanks, Tim
    Fishing tourneys for U of L, I've had to pull out a lot of stops from my "fun fishing" days. But I love the XPS Flourocarbon. It can break easily if you backlash and aren't careful fixing it and kink it, but knot strength and feel is unbelievably good. I've talked to many different anglers at work, many who are very experienced, at the general consensus that XPS is one of the best out there, at not too bad a price either. But yes, it IS something to drool about. . I have greatly improved my finesse fishing b/c of the big difference in sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate guys. I am going to have to go out and I try some again. I mainly used seaguar before. I liked it ok. But it would shatter a lot in the middle of casting. That got too expensive to cont. Prob. try berkley this time and see if I agree with the pro's. Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Without a doubt, my fishing has improved over the past few yrs due to learning how and when to use fluorocarbon. Buy a spool of 12# Seaguar CarbonPro and fish with it.

Post Thanks / Like

my 2 cents may not be worth much, but i hate it. its good for my crankin rod and spinnerbait rod. however, i now hate it with my pitching and flipping. i have just started using it this year and have had more break offs than i can remember. i caught one prefishing that was 4.2 on the river on tuesday. i set the hook today(and many other days) and broke off a good one. probably would have been lunker as well as i saw the flash of the fish. anyway, i am going to try some braided line for all my pitching and flipping. i used mono for this before this year and did not lose many fish at all. dont know if im doing anything wrong, but i know how to tie a knot and have fished a lot in my life, however i have lost more fish this year by breaking off than any time before. you can feel the bottom a lot better with it which is why i tried the switch in the first place. after to day, i will never(??) use it again

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my 2cents (worth much less than that)... I've tried several brands in the last 3 years and off the top of my head here is what I remember.

Pline (Blue Box) - 1st Fluoro I ever tried .. Strong but too stiff
    Vanish - Great line if you just like to cast and not catch fish.
    BPS XPS - Gets great reviews.. I liked it ok
    Viscious - Too much memory
    Yo Zuri (Hybrid) - Was liking it ok until a nice one broke me off a few weeks ago.
    Stren 100% Fluoro - Hard to find but really decent line
    Trilene 100% - Easy to find, casts great, good knot strength (with a palomar), good (not great) sensitivity. My favorite fluoro.

That said, I pretty much have decided to stick with Gamma Copolymer. It's stronger than all of those lines above, sensitivity is good, price is better. Not sure if this will help you or confuse you more...
    Last edited by Todd2; 06-20-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Fluorocarbon line

For what it's worth (and that's not likely much) it's not mono and IF you fish it like it is you'll likely have problems, with it's virtually no stretch qualities, "something" has to either make up for that (loosen drag) OR "give"...... (which IMO is true with all "superlines" including braid/fireline)

It's important (again IMO) to wet the line much more on most knots with flouro , have the drag much looser than with mono so the "shock factor" isn't in play (and with fireline/braid, less "ripped lips") There is SO much stretch with mono (as anyone ever been hung on rocks knows very well ) you can get away with more mistakes on drags, rod tension etc. (because the stretch takes up the pressure--superlines don't stetch much (if any) ...

While I'm no "expert or pro" I do spend quite a bit of time on the water with both flouro and fireline/braids......

Once I figured out these "superlines" also have their own limitations and those have to be respected, (and I remember to check drags and ample spit on the knots) I've personally found them a valuable addition to my fishing ( I fish quite a bit for walleye and smallmouths where they certainly have their place again IMO) when I fish it like mono I have "issues" , which are IMHO my own fault...

Post Thanks / Like

I hate fluorocarbon line lost to many fish with it
    everyone talks about the no stretch of fluorocarbon but that is not true fluorocarbon will strech and when it does it will not return to its original shape like mono wich in return weakens fluorocarbon here are some sites to check out read for yourself the truth about fluorocarbon, Imo
    fluorocarbon line is a waste of money, read the test results and decide

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

below is a three part test on fluorocarbon

[COLOR=#22229c]http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_in...on-part-i.html[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#22229c][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#22229c]http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_in...n-part-ii.html[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#22229c]http://www.bigindianabass.com/big_in...-part-iii.html[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like

ive used fluro and still have it on my spinning rod, i have p line fluro and it has too much memory and i've lost several fish from abrasion....im out i'll stick to mono and braid.