Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain and Storms

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Rain and Storms

How many of you out there have been negatively affected this year on your fishing by all this rain. I personally have went alot less and when I have been able to go it has really hurt my bite I'm convinced of it. I've lost track how many times Cumberland has been blowed out this year and the river has looked good one time in my opinion. We gauged over 3 1/2 iches at my house last week alone. Over three inches the week before that and 2 inches plus the week before that. This morning we started off the week with another 3/4 inch deluge and we have been getting lucky compared to some people who have recieved alot more.

I know, I know, never gonna stop the rain by complaining, but DANG it's getting really old! My fishing this spring has been a wash compared to what I normally do, Pun intended, lol.
    I hope the Ohio river gets in good shape by Fall, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rain and Storms

Mark,
    I hear ya, the rain has postponed a tourny and put us on notice for another. My other outdoor activities have been hampered as well. PLUS, I have to mow the grass alot more and it's usually wet or soggy when I can squeeze a quickie in.

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't had as much rain as y'all, but to me the fishing's been better this spring. I had a ball when the water was up in the trees at Barren. Now it's down near pool and it's back to the summertime blues.

If I had to look forward to fishing the Ohio River, I'd shoot myself. Guess I need to start trying for some of them behemoth sized cats y'all pull out of there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    We haven't had as much rain as y'all, but to me the fishing's been better this spring. I had a ball when the water was up in the trees at Barren. Now it's down near pool and it's back to the summertime blues.

If I had to look forward to fishing the Ohio River, I'd shoot myself. Guess I need to start trying for some of them behemoth sized cats y'all pull out of there.
    Jim I use to think the same way about the Ohio but man was I wrong. An addition to catching catfish that weigh as much as 13 year old children, you can get on some topwater action for temperate fish down there that will just blow your mind. Hybrids up to and over ten pound, stripers, and white bass that are just a blast.

I had an afternoon last year at the spillway where I had 23 hybrids and lost count of big whites up to 16 inches. Of the 23 hybrids I had 8 over five pound and three over six pound. A three pound hybrid in that river is plain mean to especially in the current. One over five or six will test 12 to 14lb line if you try to horse them. Also the big cats are a blast, I never thought I would get as hooked on it as I have. When you start catching them over 25 and 30lb and up it gets fun in a hurry. One night last season the Chuckster and I had 158lbs and change with 8 blues. I caught my personal best at 42lb 5oz. we had another at 45lb and change and another a hair over 60lb. We have pics and these were weighed on ligit scales, we weren't guessing. It's fun to say the least, they try to pull you out of the boat, litterally, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what really hurt me at Cumberland this year was everytime were there it seemed like was after a flood and then they were pulling the living daylights out of it. Did have a few good days though, first week of April I smoked some good brown fish. I had several over four pound. One day probably would have had 19lb and about 7 or 8oz with the best five. Lost a big largehead or would have had about 22lb.

Striper night bite this year was horrible, the worst many has ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

No kidding, Im sick of this rain. Ive been putting off washing my car cause of the bad weather but Saturday I couldnt stand it and spent 4hrs detailing that thing and now look at it. If I had kept a dirty car Im sure it would have been dry.

I havnt fished the falls in several weeks! I need to get down there and play with them stripped fish!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd probably feel different if my strang was getting stretched like that, but my experience has been several days of black bass fishing, and that didn't turn out too good. I do remember 'accidentally' running Jim Dicken of fishin.com fame under a bridge pipe drain in a rainstorm, and that was pretty fun.

Post Thanks / Like

We had about 5 days of rain and thunderstorms. Fished on Cherokee Lake last Friday night and would have done well to have stayed home. The daytime surface water temp. was 86 degrees and night time temp was 80 degrees. We fished deep but didn't catch anything, no bass and no catfish. The lake was about full pool and a big mess; trash flows were huge and thick with debris, dead trees, and logs.

About 1:00 a.m. I saw a dummy come up the lake making about 75 mph in the dark; no moonlight. I heard a huge thud that would make a man's heart break, and then the sound of metal, and a minute later some loud talking. I think he finished his bass fishing for the rest of the night and it may have been a very expensive trip.

Post Thanks / Like

My time has been limited due to increasing family commitments so I think the timing couldn't be better. Plus it doesn't look like I'm going to be wheeling up to a completely dry streambed like I have the previous 2 years.

I really don't mind the rain this late into the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Jim I use to think the same way about the Ohio but man was I wrong. An addition to catching catfish that weigh as much as 13 year old children, you can get on some topwater action for temperate fish down there that will just blow your mind. Hybrids up to and over ten pound, stripers, and white bass that are just a blast.

I had an afternoon last year at the spillway where I had 23 hybrids and lost count of big whites up to 16 inches. Of the 23 hybrids I had 8 over five pound and three over six pound. A three pound hybrid in that river is plain mean to especially in the current. One over five or six will test 12 to 14lb line if you try to horse them. Also the big cats are a blast, I never thought I would get as hooked on it as I have. When you start catching them over 25 and 30lb and up it gets fun in a hurry. One night last season the Chuckster and I had 158lbs and change with 8 blues. I caught my personal best at 42lb 5oz. we had another at 45lb and change and another a hair over 60lb. We have pics and these were weighed on ligit scales, we weren't guessing. It's fun to say the least, they try to pull you out of the boat, litterally, lol.
    Man I am ready for another trip in the Ohio! Let me know when you guys are thinking of going again....I'll be there if I have a weeks notice to get the dog sitter setup.

Post Thanks / Like

I discovered a talent I never knew I had until this year. If I make plans to fish the Cumberland River for trout, it will rain for three days straight. I didn't use to have this kind of power, but it has stuck, I even took it to the Smokies with me and got washed out there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    I discovered a talent I never knew I had until this year. If I make plans to fish the Cumberland River for trout, it will rain for three days straight. I didn't use to have this kind of power, but it has stuck, I even took it to the Smokies with me and got washed out there as well.
    LOL, This is exactly the kinda thing I was referring to.

Don, we'll be in touch and let you know if it ever stops this pattern. It has had the river in terrible shape this year so far most of the time.