Search Fishin.com

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Catawba Point to Put in Bay via Pontoon.

Just trying to figure out if this is "one step too far". Pontoon is a 20 footer, 2 tubes, 75hp Merc. Don't want to trailer out via Miller Ferry. Realize its a 2-3 mile run to the island, and am aware of where the State Park new marina is, and how to get to the downtown marinas for dockage. We're thinking about 2nd week of September, after the Labor Day frenzy. Me and the potoonie have weathered near miss tornadoes, and we're survived Ohio River Pushboat wakes, in 30-40 mile gusting winds.

Questions:
    a. Where at Catawba Pt to ramp in as close to Miller Ferry as possible?
    b. Likely hood, your advice, on weather "up dare", in September, am I likely to experience high wind days. Would it be most days, or a seldom occurrence?
    c. Sounds stupid, but every body of water is different. Potoonie and me can navigate leading of trailing waves up to 2-3 feet. Takes some throttle control, and I do get wet. If I was ready to leave port, what amount of wind speed does it take for the waves to get to the 2-3 foot level. 25 mph? 15 MPh? Not too crazy, don't mind tying up a drinking col ones till the wind dies, but don't know how much wind it tkes to make Erie an Eeery nightmare. Help please.

Can email me at deboham@comcast.net, all comments welcome, I take no offense. Unfamiliar water, and appreciate the advice of the local folks who know.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Catawba Point to Put in Bay via Pontoon.

Bob,

I thoroughly enjoy your posts on the KY board. I made it up to Erie once or twice a year for the last 10 years. It is unreal for walleye and very good for smally's but it is more like an ocean than a lake. I have seen it turn from calm to 5ft waves in 15 minutes. I can't say I have ever seen a pontoon on the lake. I have 19ft deep v and I ferry it to Kellys island when I go. I have never ferryed to Put In Bay so can't help you with the Miller Line. I would think September would be pretty calm but you just never know. If you try it, head for land first storm you see!

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Thanks Striper Guy. Still mulling it over, and to be honest my respect for Erie and its temper tantrums might well lead me to renting a V-hull when I get there. Just my luck to trailer it 400 miles, pay to ferrry it to the island, pay to launch it, pay to moor it up, then get 5 days of 25 mph winds that would keep it on the dock there. Somewhat concerned if that happened wife would make me sleep on it to save motel room costs and make up for the lost investment. Man, I should never have taught her cost benefit analysis......:-)

Post Thanks / Like

HB,

Leave it home. Seen too many small pontoons (your size especially) even on the Ohio River run into serious trouble. Definitely not a big water rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F16ENGMGR View Post
    HB,

Leave it home. Seen too many small pontoons (your size especially) even on the Ohio River run into serious trouble. Definitely not a big water rig.
    If you do...I'd ferry out and stay around the island.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by F16ENGMGR View Post
    HB,

Good advice. Concur. And yes, I have down the Capt Nemo routine a couple times in the Ohio, especially at night when misjudging the wake of a push boat. Ever seen thse WWII movies where the submarines surface? Thats what the pontonn deck bow looks like in a "meeting engagement" with a push boat.

Good news.....does a great job of cleaning fish scales off the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been going to Lake Erie for almost my entire life. I have seen the lake flat calm one minute and then 5-7 ft waves the next. The current between Catawba and South Bass is very strong and when the wind kicks up I wouldn't want to be there in a 20ft pontoon. Sept can be some of the best fishing but the weather can also be pretty unpredictable as well.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cartwheel View Post
    I have been going to Lake Erie for almost my entire life. I have seen the lake flat calm one minute and then 5-7 ft waves the next. The current between Catawba and South Bass is very strong and when the wind kicks up I wouldn't want to be there in a 20ft pontoon. Sept can be some of the best fishing but the weather can also be pretty unpredictable as well.
    Cartwheel and to all: Based on your advice, I've ditched the idea. Probably a bridge to far. Again, thanks for taking the time to provide some sound advice. Probably saved the Coast Guard a distress call.....and me a boat.

Cheers and regards to all!