Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best Sunscreen Opinions

Recently had to buy a new bottle of sunscreen as my old one was outdated, been frozen a couple of times (left in boat over winter) and had the gritty feel to it, that is when I knew it was time for new bottle. Went to my local W*****t and they were "remodeling" the area where the sunscreen was located. I ask a salesperson and they pointed me in the correct area and I could not find the type I used before so I purchased a different kind that had been advertised as good. Spend about 2 hours today getting the remains of sunscreen off of expensive life jackets. I will not name the sunscreen I purchased but it reminds me of a reptile that hops. It is going back to W*****t tomorrow with a big complaint and hopefully will be able to find my old favorite. I am really asking for opinions on various names of sunscreen that are in the 50 catagory and do not remain on top of the skin.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Sunscreen Opinions

Consumer Reports has rated Walgreen's Sport spf 50 as a "best buy" for years. It's the only one I use, and I've never had a problem with it getting onto my PFD's, but of course I always have at least a t-shirt on underneath, so as not to blind anybody (or make them wish they were blind). I also put it on a half hour or more before I go out on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

coppertone 50 spf sport is the best ive found so far. it has hardly any odor to it and works great. i to also apply about an hour before i head out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratos185 View Post
    Recently had to buy a new bottle of sunscreen as my old one was outdated, been frozen a couple of times (left in boat over winter) and had the gritty feel to it, that is when I knew it was time for new bottle. Went to my local W*****t and they were "remodeling" the area where the sunscreen was located. I ask a salesperson and they pointed me in the correct area and I could not find the type I used before so I purchased a different kind that had been advertised as good. Spend about 2 hours today getting the remains of sunscreen off of expensive life jackets. I will not name the sunscreen I purchased but it reminds me of a reptile that hops. It is going back to W*****t tomorrow with a big complaint and hopefully will be able to find my old favorite. I am really asking for opinions on various names of sunscreen that are in the 50 catagory and do not remain on top of the skin.
    "Blue Lizard" is the brand that I use and it really works. It's a high protection Australian Sunscreen, SPF 30+, very water resistant, UVA and UVB protection. The bottle turns blue in UV light. http://www.bluelizard.net 1-800-877-8869. I'm not sure if it's sold at your favorite "Wallyworld" or not but it probably is.

It is also used by Pro Fisherman, Bill Dance. He had skin cancer a couple of times and switched over to Blue Lizard. It's kind of pricy but I've never had problems with it staining anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried the blue lizzard, but I hear it is worth every penny.

The past couple of years I have been using the Nuetrogena dry-touch/Helioplex, and it has been the best I have ever used. It is UVA/UVB. It stays on great. I burn pretty easy, and I can fish all day in the summer with this on, and worry little about burns. They recently put out a sport version (more durable with sweat and water), and it works just as good. I have no reservations about recommending this to anyone.