Search Fishin.com

Thread: Plastics Mold

Post Thanks / Like

Plastics Mold

I have an old swimbait, made years ago before "swimbaits" became so popular. The old man who made them had made his own mold and poured these. Absolutely killer baits but I have used all of them up but one. Does anyone know where I could take or send this bait to and get a new mold made off of it so I could start pouring it again? The old gentleman who made these passed away and the kids just tossed out all his stuff as they were not into fishing. We found out too late. Would like to continue what he started. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plastics Mold

There was a show on TV and I can not remeber his name but he fishes all over the world for big fish think he was connected to In Fisherman but he showed how to take a bait and make a mold and then pour your own baits. He poured hard plastic but it should work. I am sure he has a web site but I need some help here guys with the name.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    There was a show on TV and I can not remeber his name but he fishes all over the world for big fish think he was connected to In Fisherman but he showed how to take a bait and make a mold and then pour your own baits. He poured hard plastic but it should work. I am sure he has a web site but I need some help here guys with the name.
    Thanks a lot. I will check In-Fisherman's site and see if Larry Dahlberg or Gowdy have a website, since they do all the Big Fish shows.

Post Thanks / Like

u can try plaster of paris to make ur own mold

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fcfishman View Post
    Thanks a lot. I will check In-Fisherman's site and see if Larry Dahlberg or Gowdy have a website, since they do all the Big Fish shows.
    I'm sure it was Dahlburg

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I might try the plaster of Paris Ironhead. I used to own a couple Ironheads before I got too old to ride those rough frames. Still love them!

Post Thanks / Like

bondo can be used to make molds. I prefer it to plaster of paris. If you use the latter, you'll have to epoxy the mold or use some other material to protect the plaster from attaching to your bait when you pull it out.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on what you are willing to spend you can take the bait to a local machine shop and they can produce one out of aluminum for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I took your advice and went to a buddy who runs a small machine shop out of his garage, bunch of lathes, computer programmed, etc, and he was able to make me a mold. Not only that, but now we are upscaling to larger sizes as well. Initial run seems to match pretty well but we have to adjust the plastic, etc, as it is stiffer and not as much action as the original. We will keep playing with it. Thanks for all the help.