Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HURRICANEBOB Guest

Trout--What they taste like?

People say Striper tastes like Orange Roughy, and vice versa. I've never had trout. What does trout taste like? Some guy at Walmart told me it tastes like Catfish that was eating too much SauerKraut when it was caught. Is that true?

What kind of freshwater fish tastes like Tuna? I like Tuna. I like to add spices to the Tuna to make it change a little and be in harmony with other foods. Some people say I can really "Tune-a-fish". But that's not true, cause when I fillet them they always become flat.

So what kind of freshwater fish tastes like tuna fish, or what kind of freshwater fish can I "tune-up" to taste like "Tuna-Fish".

Last question........do crayfish really taste like shrimp? Or do they just tell ya that to get you to buy them? Isn't a crayfish really just a freshwater baby lobster?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trout--What they taste like?

Bob ......

Trout taste like ..........uh ...........um Trout

Post Thanks / Like

Well...I know the moderators of this great site are watching me closely, so if it weren't for that I'd tell ya what I think trout taste like, lol...all kidding aside, aceoky hit the nail on the head. But the "best tasting" trout I have ever had were simply deep fried, nothing fancy or special, little salt, little pepper and they were ready to eat, not all that great though, just ok, nothing like crappie, bluegil, catfish or walleye...I don't like trout for table fare but they sure are beautiful fish to look at and fun to catch, they fight pretty dag gone good in the current, especially on 6 or 8 pound test. I've had trout grilled, smoked and everything else at home and I don't much care for any of it really, but they will eat if you're hungry.

I had crayfish one time but I doubt if it was prepared correctly because to me it tasted like the water in the ditch in which it came from. As for your other questions...I have no idea.
    Last edited by Chubminnow; 07-01-2009 at 07:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've cooked trout a few times, and well, it's not my favorite. Their bone structure/rib cage is much different than a crappie or bluegill, which makes it a little difficult to eat around. I usually go once or twice a year to the Dix for a limit of rainbows - here lately I find myself throwing them back though instead of keeping them.

As for crawfish - they are some awesome eatin! It's nothing for me to down about 6 to 8 lbs of them dudes at a time...which go great with some ice cold brews It all depends on how they're cooked, and very rarely do you find them cooked the right way in KY.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone boil their fish? I've had several tell me that if you boil up some fish, whether it be crappie or bluegill, they end up tasting like tuna. Never tried it, just wondering if anyone else has heard that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Chicken

Post Thanks / Like

Bob take a Cedar plank about 12 inches and thin about 3/8 inches thick. Place the trout on that plank and cook on low heat about 200 degrees for 30 minutes.

Take from oven and throw that trout in the garbage can and eat that Cedar plank cause it's gonna taste much better than that trout ever will!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Does anyone boil their fish? I've had several tell me that if you boil up some fish, whether it be crappie or bluegill, they end up tasting like tuna. Never tried it, just wondering if anyone else has heard that as well.
    Although I still haven't tried it several years ago while fishing lake Erie I ran into some locals who were keeping all the drum they could get. They told us they fileted them then cut the filets in shrimp sized pieces. They then boiled these in very salty water, chilled them and ate them as they would boiled shrimp. One of these days I just got to try this.

Post Thanks / Like

Trout are not my fav to eat. But if you have a chance to catch them out of a stream or river I would much rather have those than from a lake. I have caught lots of them on Laurel Lake and baked, broiled and deep fried them-they all were terrible. I have caught them from cumberland river below the dam and in cherokee nc and fixed them the same way and they were much better. I know it sounds crazy but its true. Later......smoke

Post Thanks / Like

Trout.......Like Lake Trout, should be caught in the Boundary Waters.....and Cooked over an OPEN FIRE in foil, with lemon pepper, and veggies.........mm good.

http://www.geofisher.com/BWCA_2006_F...6_17.16.14.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I like to clean them, scale them and then put the whole fish (head, body and tail) in a hot skillet with a little butter and sprinkle um with a little lemon juice. Just be carefull with the bones!

Post Thanks / Like

Wash them good, gut them leave the heads on. Then preheat the grill and rub hellmans mayo on the trout inside and out, lemon pepper and salt the inside of them. Grill till done on each side be careful not to flip too much on the grill they will fall apart. Enjoy eating them. They are best when they are fresh and not frozen. I wouldn't waste my time with frozen trout.