Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota Power Drive Remote

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to program my
    remote to my trolling motor. I've got a 70 PD Minn Kota and I bought a
    spare remote but when I tried it this weekend I could not get it to work.
    Is there a specific way to program it to my motor? Any advise would be
    greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Minn Kota Power Drive Remote

Not sure which model you have, but iin either case the proceedure is the same. You should see a button on the TM on the copilot side. If I remember right, you press that in then press the power on button on the remote.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know anything about your question but I am interested in one of the powerdrive units and was wondering if you like the way the thing operates...... I like the idea of not having to put up with the stiff cable and needing to screw the foot controll in one place on the deck.As I have gotten older (and not as flexible) than i ust to be,i would like to be able to move the foot controll around.Do any of you other fellas that have these wish you had opted for the standard cable unit..... I have noticed that the pro's seem to all use the cable type. I wonder why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hlleonard View Post
    Don't know anything about your question but I am interested in one of the powerdrive units and was wondering if you like the way the thing operates...... I like the idea of not having to put up with the stiff cable and needing to screw the foot controll in one place on the deck.As I have gotten older (and not as flexible) than i ust to be,i would like to be able to move the foot controll around.Do any of you other fellas that have these wish you had opted for the standard cable unit..... I have noticed that the pro's seem to all use the cable type. I wonder why?
    I have a power drive on my pontoon and I love it. I also have the co pilot and wear the transmitter on my wrist. It's great from anywhere in the boat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smalleychaser View Post
    I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to program my
    remote to my trolling motor. I've got a 70 PD Minn Kota and I bought a
    spare remote but when I tried it this weekend I could not get it to work.
    Is there a specific way to program it to my motor? Any advise would be
    greatly appreciated.
    1 press and hold the "learn" button locared on the side of the receiver( receiver will beep 4 times) .A small blunt object such as a screwdrive will do.

2. press any of the buttons on the remote. The receiver will beep 4 times to confirm that it has learned the id number of the remote. That's it!

Post Thanks / Like

I started out many years ago when the remote poqwer drive units first came out. Now I have the cable and can operate my boat from trhe rear, but you are always adjusting with the cable feature, if you can afford it, the remote with the guide feature is great.. But they are costly.I switched to the cable because the remote features are very expensive to repair,had two of them, but if the money situation ever changes for the better for me, i will get the cordless remote again. Thje front cable units are quicker. and youger guys like them, I have had severalm of them, but when them bones get old, !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a powerdrive on my new boat, and sold it to purchase a cable drive motor.

The remote/autopilot motor was simply too slow to respond to input. You could make a request to turn the motor 90 degrees and it would take it a second or so to respond.

When fighting monster wind, rain, snow, whatever......you want the thing to respond a little quicker.

One other thing.........I think the motor that turns the head was noisy, and may have actually "spooked" fish...........not sure about that though.

Other than that.......I really liked it..............Simetimes I miss it......sometimes I don't.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the older and newer models and prefer the older. They are "noisey" and the newer one has a very slow reaction time. I also think the autopilot does a horrid job on the newer models. I like the remote idea and use it quite a bit when casting but still use the foot control when trolling. You can not tell which speed setting you are on with the remote and you have to sometimes back it down to zero and count up to make sure you know which setting you are on. It does 1-10. The foot control is variable and I find many times that I would perfer something between, say 2-3. Also, the difference between 1 and 2 is NOT the same as between 2-3. Very frustrating....

BUT, it is awesome for casting. I made up some "clips" out of thin PVC and mounted the remote brackets on it. I cut a strip out of the PVC and it flexes around the rod grip. That way I can move them from rod to rod. I made up several so I can mount them on the rods I plan to use, then just slide the remote out of one bracket and into another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I had a powerdrive on my new boat, and sold it to purchase a cable drive motor.

The remote/autopilot motor was simply too slow to respond to input. You could make a request to turn the motor 90 degrees and it would take it a second or so to respond.

When fighting monster wind, rain, snow, whatever......you want the thing to respond a little quicker.

One other thing.........I think the motor that turns the head was noisy, and may have actually "spooked" fish...........not sure about that though.

Other than that.......I really liked it..............Simetimes I miss it......sometimes I don't.

Later,

Geo
    Sure glad you got rid of it Geo. I added the wireless and really like it but like Duayne said you don't really know what speed setting you are on and I agree the reaction time could be a little quicker.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fella's ........I actually bought one of these units a good many years ago
    (when I was younger) and within a week I had taken it back to the store and switched it to another cable model....... I liked the idea of sitting the foot switch anywhere you wanted it but it was very frustrating at the time. it seemed the foot switch was not very user friendly. From what you guys are saying it seems they haven't improved the thing very much. I may still buy one because like I said before... the cable model makes it kinda tough for me to sit in the proper position while I am fishing a worm or a jig...which is 90% of my bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get one spend the extra and get the auto pilot. Even though this version isn't as good as the last, it's still an awesome feature. Most times people want to cruise a bank and the auto pilot will do much of the adjusting for you. An added feature to this version is being able to turn the AP on and off with the remote. Before, you had to do it at the motor... The stow and deploy is much improved as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Duayne, I think the Terrova is different from the regular power-drive . It has the AP on the remote feature and the stow and deploy feature.