Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

wheat bread in minnow trap

I set a minnow trap in a creek yesterday and used wheat bread. when i placed the trap I could see that there were plenty of minnows in the area. i left the trap overnight, but in the morning only two minnows were inside. Is it possible that minnows don't like wheat bread (possibly because it doesn't break apart the way that white bread does)?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wheat bread in minnow trap

that could be the problem or there could be just something in the wheat bread that isnt attractive to minnows. I have only used a minnow trap a few times in my life and i used to take a can of dog food and punch several holes in it and tie it inside the cage...... if u have two minnow traps or since u already know what wheat bread does... today or whenever you can try white bread and u can use the white as a control factor like in a science experiment and put wheat in the other trap if u have two and place them side by side because the affects might be different if one is in the shade and the other isnt so if u just have one trap just put it back with white bread in the same spot and wait about the same amount of time.... it could be pretty interesting what the outcome could be.

Post Thanks / Like

I set my minnow trap out out last week and used some old stinking chicken livers and a handfull of dry cat food and my trap was filled with minnows within a couple of hours. I usually use a small can of cat food with holes punched in it, but this time I put the livers in part of a mesh onion sack and hung it in the middle of the trap without any of the bait touching the sides of the tray that way they have to get in the trap to eat. I trap the minnows in some small creeks allmost juct a ditch and this year their have not been near as miny minnows in the creeks, I guess because of the high waters but right now it is good. I have set the trap and come up empty. I have tried just bread but not a lot of luck, it washes out of the trap to easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always used hushpuppies, broken in half, from Long John Silver's and did well in a short amount of time

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they haven't heard about the low carb craze....lol