Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Reel Maintenance Question -- Roller bearings

I have a few questions for those of you who are distinguished at performing baitcasting reel maintenance. I have cleaned and lubricated my reels personally for the past several years with great results.

I have one reel that is giving me fits though. It is a Shimano Curado 100DSV (CU-100DSV). I bought the reel used for cheap because it had a problem with the handle turning backwards sometimes on a hookset. Everything else checked out ok. I knew that the roller bearing needed to be replaced on the reel. I knew it wasn't the spool or pinion gear because when the roller bearing did lock, the spool would not turn and you could actually get a great hookset.

However, I replaced the roller bearing and after using the reel for most of this season it has started to have the same problem as before. Do I need to replace the sleeve (on top of the drag washers) on the mainshaft that the roller bearing locks when I replace the roller bearing? I need to know this before I replace the roller bearing again, and I do plan on replacing the roller bearing.

Also, do I use grease or oil on the roller bearing, or no lube at all? I know that the roller bearings on my Shimano Stradics (spinning reels) say "NO GREASE" on the top, but I know that if wheel bearings on trailers don't have grease, they will overheat, score the races, and eventually fail. I know they are two different types of rollers, but serve the same purpose. Am I supposed to oil the roller bearings on spinning reels, or no lube at all?

I did notice that when I cleaned the roller bearing out on the Curado and left it dry, the reel locked much faster and there was no give at all. However, I need to know if this is going to damage the roller bearings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reel Maintenance Question -- Roller bearings

I clean most of my own reels too. This is a common problem if there is too much oil on the clutch/tube. Thouroughly clean and dry the roller clutch and clutch tube and just lightly oil ONLY the clutch tube.

I wouldn't replace the clutch yet. If it still reels backwards on hooksets I would leave it dry and go with it. If you do end up replacing the clutch I would get a new clutch tube also since it would be the third roller clutch for the reel.

I hate cleaning spinning reels and usually don't. I think you can oil all of the bearings you want but leave the roller clutch dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reel Maintenance Question -- Roller bearings

bump