Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Running by the Board-Planer Boards?

Once again, I need help from the BOARD. Have recently got into Striper fishing using downriggers, and down lines. NOW wish to start using PLANER BOARDS. Any advice on what type board to use, how to use it. Can I also use boards to troll for WALLEYE with live bait or lures? DARN, JUST NOT ENOUGHT TIME TO FISH.

PS. Anyone chatch their own alewife or gizzard shad? Which is the best bait for stripers on LC, gizzard or alewife? If so, any advice on how a newBE should get started. This past week, I have seen several boats using down rods out fish us Shiner Guys 10 to 1 with their Alewives.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Running by the Board-Planer Boards?

My recommendation is to use Offshore Planer boards. I have tried the yellow bird planer boards, but they just never worked right for me. I usually put a 1.5 ounce weight to hold down whatever bait I am using. Run them way out from the boat. I put two on each side of the boat. These boards pull out really good and stay there.

The preferred bait for stripers is shad, but I have never been successful catching. Don't have time, being just a weekend fisherman. I usually use shiners.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Running by the Board-Planer Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by JimDi View Post
    My recommendation is to use Offshore Planer boards. I have tried the yellow bird planer boards, but they just never worked right for me. I usually put a 1.5 ounce weight to hold down whatever bait I am using. Run them way out from the boat. I put two on each side of the boat. These boards pull out really good and stay there.

The preferred bait for stripers is shad, but I have never been successful catching. Don't have time, being just a weekend fisherman. I usually use shiners.
    Thanks for the input..Man I hear you....from what I have read, catching alewife and KEEPING THEM ALIVE is not easy. OK, Off Shore Boards, thanks, ...I will check them out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree IMO Off shore are the best (Church boards also get "rave reviews" but we stick with the OS boards.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Offshore brand too. I didn't get more than a year or two out of the Yellowbirds. I personally have never trolled for walleye with planer boards but I have seen it done several times on Cumberland. Classic "V" pattern is the way to start out. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Running by the Board-Planer Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Once again, I need help from the BOARD. Have recently got into Striper fishing using downriggers, and down lines. NOW wish to start using PLANER BOARDS. Any advice on what type board to use, how to use it. Can I also use boards to troll for WALLEYE with live bait or lures? DARN, JUST NOT ENOUGHT TIME TO FISH.

PS. Anyone chatch their own alewife or gizzard shad? Which is the best bait for stripers on LC, gizzard or alewife? If so, any advice on how a newBE should get started. This past week, I have seen several boats using down rods out fish us Shiner Guys 10 to 1 with their Alewives.
    The guys are right on with the offshore boards. If u need help with the live bait how when where or whatever e-mail me shad1@fuse.net. I have help a few people get started at
    stripers. That's all I've fished for the past 15 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Boone, if you are serious about learning Striper fishing check out www.seeinstripes.com .The offshore boards are the best off the shelf easy to get boards , but there are some much better "homemade boards" out there made by hard core Striper fisherman. You will learn about catching bait, bait tanks, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Running by the Board-Planer Boards?

Quote Originally Posted by PRO V LE View Post
    Boone, if you are serious about learning Striper fishing check out www.seeinstripes.com .The offshore boards are the best off the shelf easy to get boards , but there are some much better "homemade boards" out there made by hard core Striper fisherman. You will learn about catching bait, bait tanks, etc.
    PRO V LE, thanks for the link....good and helpful info.

Good Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by striperjoe View Post
    The guys are right on with the offshore boards. If u need help with the live bait how when where or whatever e-mail me shad1@fuse.net. I have help a few people get started at
    stripers. That's all I've fished for the past 15 years.
    Striper, thanks and I will give you an email later in July/August about catching/keepiing live bait. Buying live bait (good sized shiners) here at LC has been a real problem this year. Not sure what the problem is, unless all 3 shops here in the Jamestown area (Bass Pro, Adams Bait & Country Store) have the same supplier, which I suspect is the case.

Good Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Boone (sorry I missed this on my first reply)

YES you can use them to troll for walleye, you can run bottom bouncers (up to about three ounces) , spinner/crawler crankbaits swimbaits and all sorts of other things/combos off the offshore boards

IMO where they "really shine" is for suspended fish (as these move away from the boat most times and often will move right to your lure or baits on the boards)

Post Thanks / Like

I've used both off shore and yellow bird planers. On the yellow birds, I removed the release and replaced it with an off shore planer release. I also use a snap on the back of the board. The off shore boards will handle more weight than the yellow birds. The yellow birds are better when you are fishing them tight to the bank as they'll bounce of stuff better.

The boards will work with live bait or lures. I used to run 1 oz jigs off planers in June when I ran the riggers shallow.

Most times of the year, alewifes are the bait of choice. Gizzards are a good bet for late fall-early winter. Might depend some on what they are chasing at the time. There are times that they get after the threadfin and thats what you need.

Been a few years since I used live bait/boards. I have some yellow birds that I've had for 10 years or more. They still work fine.

Let the line out that you want behind the board, clip the board on, and place in the water. Leave the clicker on the reel on and the reel out of gear, place in the rod holder and set up the next board as the first is let out (trolling motor on low all the time). Once the board is far enough from the boat, engage the reel. As noted above, you set the boards out at various distances from the boat and keep them in a V-formation.

Andrew