Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak considerations

Both have thier places. For waters with wake....Make sure to have a spray skirt regardless of temp....Yaks will sinklike a rock when they get full of water. SOT will drain. Most of my crew that comes in from time to time have SOT's. Easy in easy out.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redneckshadrap View Post
    Both have thier places. For waters with wake....Make sure to have a spray skirt regardless of temp....Yaks will sinklike a rock when they get full of water. SOT will drain. Most of my crew that comes in from time to time have SOT's. Easy in easy out.

Billy
    Where in the heck have you been Billy, I was asking about you the other day???

Post Thanks / Like

I fish out of my kayak several times a week. The Falls are too high right now but when they turn off the upper gates it's fine and you can get to the striper.

The GREAT thing about a kayak is that you never have to worry about it breaking down or not working. If you work, it works. You can throw them in the back end of a truck without a trailer.

After years of fishing with a Ocean Kayak scrambler that we picked up on vacation, I upgraded to the Hobie Pro Angler this season. It's incredibly stable - I can stand and flyfish from it. It is propelled by pedals, which allows you to have your line in the water about twice as much as with a conventional kayak. You should take a look at Hobies - more expensive but worth it. Wilderness system makes a good kayak and so does Ocean Kayak. Would not recommend the Native boats for river - they have an open bow and if you had a big wave or a rogue current they would be hard to get back into.

Having fished both sit in and sit on top, I would definately recommend a SOT. They are more stable and more comfortable. If you are serious about fishing in cold water you just get a spray top and pants. I fished out of my kayak on the Ohio in December. If you respect the river, wear a PFD, and know when not to push it, you'll be fine. I've had my OK out two miles into the gulf of mexico trolling for mackrel and cobia.

For river fishing you need a rudder or the currents will make it hard for you to track your boat. It's a haul from the Clark boat ramp to the falls.

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Alright here's the setup I'm thinking of buying a kayak for small lakes and streams and fishing the Falls of the Ohio. Do I want a sit in or a sit on top? I'll be carrying this by myself, so I think I want as short as I can get by with. I want it stable, I'm about a agile as a bull elephant anymore, lol. Some of you guys in the know tell me what you think I need to do??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Alright here's the setup I'm thinking of buying a kayak for small lakes and streams and fishing the Falls of the Ohio. Do I want a sit in or a sit on top? I'll be carrying this by myself, so I think I want as short as I can get by with. I want it stable, I'm about a agile as a bull elephant anymore, lol. Some of you guys in the know tell me what you think I need to do??
    this is the best yak for the money stability and for fishin also ive put the link in just click on it will take you to a pic i believe it was on sale cheaper then the net price >>>>>> Ready to join the growing legion of kayak fishermen? The Future Beach® Trophy 126 kayak has one job, and that's to get you to the fish! The signature dihedral hull gives this kayak the ultimate combination of stability and performance, while upgraded features such as a sealed rear bulkhead, flush-mount rod holders, and a two-piece paddle provide great value.

Features

Future Beach® Trophy 126 kayak
    Perfect choice for kayak fishermen
    Sit-in fishing kayak
    Signature dihedral hull for the ultimate in stability and tracking
    Sealed rear bulkhead
    Adjustable back rest and removable seat cushion
    Double 10" x 18" elliptical storage hatches with rubber covers
    Step lock adjustable foot rest system
    Front and rear bungees
    Paddle holder and cup holder
    Front and rear carry handles
    Weight: 50 lbs
    Capacity: 250 lbs
    Dimensions: L 10.5' x W 29.5' x H 1'
    Two-piece paddle and two flush-mounted rod holders included
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...672651.2674153

Post Thanks / Like

A sit in kayak in the Ohio for fishing is a disaster waiting to happen. You can't fish effectively with a spray skirt. 9.5 is too short for the river - you will wish you had a longer boat that tracks better and was easier to move after your first trip. 9.5 is great for a creek, or small ponds - but that's it.

12" is the absolute minimum for the Ohio and I would recommend a 13-14.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    I have been seriously thinking of a kayak too and although have no direct experience with kayaks I have spent a fair amount of time on the internet researching options. First off I agree with Geo's thought that the only way to go is with a kayak designed for fishing. I don't know what to think about the sit-in or sit-on-top but I have kind of become fixated on a Native Ultimate (which is a sit-in). As Geo said they are a bit pricey but I think they would work exceptionaly well. They are more like a solo canoe but the hull design is kind of like a pontoon which gives the boat good stability in the water. They claim you can even stand up and fish from them they are that stable. Plus they sport a comfortable seat that appeals to me to. I also learned that Canoe Ky carries them and you can rent one to try them out. That has been on my todo list for some time now but I can't find a day to get down there when my schedule and the water levels have cooperated...

kc
    Man, I saw one of those up close and personal in Madison, WI this past spring at canoecopia.....

The guy who owns the company and DESIGNED the Ultimate for fishing redfish flats in louisiana was giving the seminar.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/fishing/fishing.cfm

Talk about a WELL THOUGHT OUT design........WOW.

AND he thought about LOTS of things........like the anchor system (notice the pulley system on the side). It is meant so you can anchor front, back, middle, etc, etc.

AND then the Poling system......his paddle breaks apart at one end, allowing you to stick the paddle through the anchor loop and STICK the pointed end into the mud, sand, whatever........keeping the boat ANCHORED in a specific spot without using an anchor bag.

CHECKOUT their site..........it is NEAT.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Seen a Hank Parker show and can't remmeber what him and his son were fishing from but they had them on the deck of his bass boat and ran up a lake too the thin water too fish out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12 last year. Only fished in it a couple of time so far, but it was real stable. It's more like a smaller canoe with a built in seat that is pretty comfortable. I did not get the fishing model as it was too pricey. You can put your own flush mount rod holders in place for $12 with a hole saw, rasp and some pop rivets. I brought an anchor system but have not install yet. It comes with a drop down skeg to help you track better. I can't image needing much more. If you get a big fish on, it will tow you around a little. I hooked about a 20lb carp on a shakey head worm on the river and we went were he wanted for a while. Never felt like I was going to tip at any time. The river was pretty mild though, no real fast stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see what you are saying about a sit-in and waves. My interest in a kayak is smaller waters - small lakes, ponds, and creeks and that's where I liked the thought of the ultimate. It also has that comfortable seat and with my not-so-good back that was attractive too. Plus I perceive it to be a stable small boat although I have yet to try one out. In the end it is all up to what you are looking for in a boat and if you do different things you may need different boats. I already have a 17' canoe but that is not worth a darn for solo fishing. I may also want to try a sit on top to see how that may work. I must admit the thought of not filling with water is a plus with them.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

I have been on that site bunches of times in the last few months. With a tight budget currently I haven't been able to plunk down the money for one yet so every week or two I find myself back on the site oodling the video clips and pictures. Although my info is purely from research on the internet I have been very impressed with the Native boats as some of the better fishing kayaks available. One of these days I hope to have one in my garage.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished out of several types and styles of Canoyaks and the Wilderness Systems Pungo and Tarpon Series are by far the best all around. I own a Tarpon 120 and fish it everywhere and anywhere. It is a sit-on-top model and in my opinion that is the only way to go with a fishing kayak. It may seem as though it's not as stable, and more likely to tump over, but I can actually stand up on mine for fly casting without fear that I'm going in the drink. The backrest is adjustable and comfortable and I have dozed off in mine more than once. I also have a Kayak Loader hooked to the hitch of my vehicle so that I can get it on and off by myself. This has allowed me to go to different places, more often, without always having to take a buddy, two cars, etc.

Wilderness Systems is owned by a company called Confluence Watersports, the same company which produces Perception, Dagger, Wavesport, Mad River Canoe, and Harmony Canoes/Kayaks. That's not to say that all of these lines are the same with regards to their fishing style boats. IMO Wilderness Systems is the top of their line.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been researching kayaks for several months. My biggest concern was being able to stand up and safely fish. Plus, being in a colder enviroment, I would prefer not to end up in the water at all, and you don't want to lose money with your equipment setting at the bottom of a lake. I found this product as an add on for yaks, take a look and it might help with the stability and tipping over issue.

http://www.standnfish.com/

I'm leaning toward an Ocean Kayak Big Game Angler. It's wide, holds a lot of weight, and is a dryer ride than most. It is heavier though. Bass Pro has a good price on it.