Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kayak considerations

Alright here's the setup I'm thinking of buying a kayak for small lakes and streams and fishing the Falls of the Ohio. Do I want a sit in or a sit on top? I'll be carrying this by myself, so I think I want as short as I can get by with. I want it stable, I'm about a agile as a bull elephant anymore, lol. Some of you guys in the know tell me what you think I need to do??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak considerations

In my opinion--YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR HEAD EXAMINED.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Many people say get the sit-on-top kind. I have actually never used one of those so I have a one-sided opinion.

I own two (basically identical) Perception 11' sit-in kayaks. They have a very large cockpit and weigh 44 lbs. I fish out of them a lot on small rivers, streams and lakes. You can carry them fairly easily by yourself, but they are more awkward than canoes so it's harder to carry them as far.

****'s sporting goods carries a model that is basically identical to mine with a few improvements (cockpit padding, etc.).

It seems to me that the sit-in kind would be more stable due to the lower center of gravity, but they are also probably harder to get in and out of.

I'd be happy to load them both up sometime soon and meet you somewhere to do a little fishing if you'd like to try one out and decide if you like the sit-in kind or not.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Grumpy
    Actually it is not a bad way to go.............just be SURE to look at yaks make for fishing.......

I looked at a Native Watercraft Yak and Quest Outdoors. THEY are spendy, but are DEFINITELY made for fishing.

Also you can get them made out of different materials.........Royalex, Crosslink, Kevlar, and a couple others.........Crosslink is heavier that CRAP. Royalex is a little better. Kevlar, and the lighter stuff is really light, but not made for anything but lake type yaking..........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Grumpy
    Grumpy there are times at the Falls where a float tube would be alright, it's not always swift down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Many people say get the sit-on-top kind. I have actually never used one of those so I have a one-sided opinion.

I own two (basically identical) Perception 11' sit-in kayaks. They have a very large cockpit and weigh 44 lbs. I fish out of them a lot on small rivers, streams and lakes. You can carry them fairly easily by yourself, but they are more awkward than canoes so it's harder to carry them as far.

****'s sporting goods carries a model that is basically identical to mine with a few improvements (cockpit padding, etc.).

It seems to me that the sit-in kind would be more stable due to the lower center of gravity, but they are also probably harder to get in and out of.

I'd be happy to load them both up sometime soon and meet you somewhere to do a little fishing if you'd like to try one out and decide if you like the sit-in kind or not.

Michael
    Thanks I might take you up on that, alot of guys use these at the Falls just to get to the Kentucky side than walk to desired locations to fish. It's a great way to escape the incredibly rude fisherman that frequent that place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Thanks I might take you up on that, alot of guys use these at the Falls just to get to the Kentucky side than walk to desired locations to fish. It's a great way to escape the incredibly rude fisherman that frequent that place.
    I've always intended to try and fish the falls sometime. It's a little bit of a haul from where I'm at, though.

I've also wanted to float them down a section of Floyd's fork but haven't made that trip yet either.

Post Thanks / Like

What, you tired of lookin at me Mark lol...So your upgrading to a yak...my little V bottom is going to be jealous...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Kayak considerations

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    What, you tired of lookin at me Mark lol...So your upgrading to a yak...my little V bottom is going to be jealous...Chuck
    Not at all my bromine, you now better than that. You have such a fan following and Possee or Antarague (spelling) I didn't want to impose and overstay my welcome. And besides I want to just explore that other side sometimes when we aren't there on Friday's and chase my little striped friends, lol.

Heck I'd fish with ya every Friday if you wanted me to, but I know that's overkill. Sometimes a catman just likes to be by himself and collect his thoughts and not catch Shad for two, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

There are so many fishing kayaks on the market now. I would find someone who either fishes from a kayak or a knowledgable sales guy on the subject. I have the Old Town Otter with the rodholder accessory. It is important to get one with a wide flat bottom with some degree of ceel because when baddling that is what keeps you on track without the boat trying to circle like the whitewater kayaks. The wider bottom will give you more stability. It is also important to get foot braces so you can put power on your paddles, if needed, by bracing your feet. I enjoy fishing from a kayak because you can be quiet and get into places a bigger boat can't. From ten years ago the price has dropped on kayaks...thank goodness, so you should pick out a really nice kayak that suit your needs at a resonable price.
    Last edited by Bonefish; 07-06-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Not at all my bromine, you now better than that. You have such a fan following and Possee or Antarague (spelling) I didn't want to impose and overstay my welcome. And besides I want to just explore that other side sometimes when we aren't there on Friday's and chase my little striped friends, lol.

Heck I'd fish with ya every Friday if you wanted me to, but I know that's overkill. Sometimes a catman just likes to be by himself and collect his thoughts and not catch Shad for two, lol.
    You know your welcome anytime brother...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, go to Sea Eagle.com and look at their boats. I bought one recently and just got back from a trip 28 miles down the Green River they are really stable and one man can handle them with no problem.