Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question First saltwater trip ???

Hey Guys,
    I am headed to RI to meet my girlfriends parents.
    Her Dad is taking me out on a partyboat (? don't know what that means ?) to fish for fluke.

Anybody have any experience fishing for fluke or on a partyboat? I have Googled them and it appears they jig for them. Can you eat them?

Thanks
    BurleyDog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First saltwater trip ???

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyDog View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I am headed to RI to meet my girlfriends parents.
    Her Dad is taking me out on a partyboat (? don't know what that means ?) to fish for fluke.

Anybody have any experience fishing for fluke or on a partyboat? I have Googled them and it appears they jig for them. Can you eat them?

Thanks
    BurleyDog
    You will probably be "chumming" for them unless you take some Dramamine. If this is your first trip on the ocean, I strongly suggest taking some prior to going out.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished on several party boats but not for Fluke. It's usually elbow to elbow, drop you line when you hear the horn, raise your line when you hear the horn, and "can someone untangle me from the lady six doors down".. LOL It can be fun if the Captain puts you on fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I will take the Dramamine.

Does party boat fishing ****?

Do they keep the fish that are legal you think?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Party boats can be fun if everyone follows what the crew tell's them. And yes they keep fish and should tag them for you and put on ice.
    A charter captain years ago told my wife about eating a Hershey bar and a GingerAle before the trip, she has done this ever since, it seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like

fluke is a flounder, shouldnt be to far offshore. in florida waters there pretty shallow. Id find out who the charter is and call them to see how you'll be fishin, how far out, if anything else is biting. Dramamine may work, but it also makes you drowsy. Check the forcast out for where your going, you may not need the pills.....

Post Thanks / Like

While we are on this subject of " first saltwater trips" i'm gonna be on a 50-60ft yacht from sarasota down to captiva island in florida for five days next month. No fishing just going to meet my girlfriends parents and take a leisure trip on their boat. I know you guys mentioned dramamine, but any other helpful tips you guys might have? Besides sunscreen and beer i mean and plenty of beer of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluefish and Stripers should be in the surf in Rhody right now too

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Eat two bananas before you board the vessel. They taste the same coming back up as they did going down!

If it's a deisel engine craft, try and be far away from the exhaust. The fumes alone can make you queazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Party boat fishing can be really fun. They usually have a $1 or $5 pot for the biggest fish, most fish, etc... Everybody lines up around the edge of the boat and drops a line. The crew will bait your hook and remove the fish if you want. At the end of the voyage, they will give you your fish and will clean them for you (tips are expected for this service).

My family went on one when we went to visit a sister that lived in Boston, had a great time with many fish caught. We also saw a couple of pods of whales which was a huge bonus, those creatures are grand!

My mom had never been sea-sick before but bowed to the pressure and put one of those patches behind her ear and chummed the whole time she was on the boat, fishing all the while. She has been since and refused to use the patch on much rougher seas and did not even feel queasy. My thoughts on this - if you have been on a large lake with rough seas and did not feel sick, no need for the drugs unless the seas are going to be real BIG. And if the seas are gonna be big, I probably would not even get on the boat/ship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurleyDog View Post

Thanks
    BurleyDog
    Where I come from a fluke is a flounder that still has eyes on both sides of its head (when they're older both eyes are on the same side), but whatever, it's the same fish. And not only CAN you eat them, it's some of the most delicious fish you ever ate, especially when it's that fresh. The old classic way to cook it is very simple; just melt some butter over it, sprinkle some fresh dill on it, then broil it for just a few minutes. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice onto it, and serve. Or better yet, stuff it with crab imperial, but I don't think they have blue crabs that far north.

I've never fished RI's waters, only DE & MD. Down there the seas vary quite a bit, pretty rough some days, pretty glassy on others, especially in the heat of summer. I imagine RI's not that much different. Avoid a heavy, greasy, heartburn-inducing breakfast, and whatever you do don't get drunk the night before, and you should be fine. If you're really worried about it, ask your doctor for a prescription for scopolomine patches. I've never been sick when using one of those. The main bait we always use is cut squid, or sometimes clams. They should have rigs to rent, and provide bait. And yeah, you may be elbow to elbow, but as long as everyone's with the program, and brings their line in when their neighbor has a fish on, everyone'll get along.

Post Thanks / Like

I would do the dramamine also if I were you...at least if you have never been on the ocean before I would anyway, just to be safe. As far as fluke, not sure what kind of fish that is...as far as party boats...depends on how big the party of people on the boat actually is...could be a small group of 12 to 18 or it could get crowded. This party boat is not to be confused with the party boats on Cumberland that go out on a midnight booze cruise. One thing's for sure...you will definitely remember catching a salt water fish for a very long time...I know the first salt water fish I caught was a blue fish and it fought like the dickens on the rod (aka - broom stick) I was using, then when I came home and fished here locally again it felt like every fish I caught (bass or otherwise) was nothing more than a bluegil in comparison, lol...