Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing the Ohio

Going down to fish the wickets on Indiana bank tomorrow for the first time in 20 years. Nostalgia kicking in and going back to where I started. Any tips on tackle or bait? Not particular on what I catch. We used to kill the sauger down there years ago, catch a few cats, etc. Thanks guys for any help. Probably won't keep anything, just looking forward to standing knee deep and hooking something.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing the Ohio

I would use at least a 6'6" Medium Heavy Bait caster. Will you be using Live Bait or Artificial?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably both. We used to throw a lot of jigs with grubs, etc. Live bait is always fun as well, although I am not sure what works down there anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

At the present time not much water is being released on the upper so you should be good with 1/4 oz jig heads and white curly tail grubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, will give it a whirl. I am sure it will take me a few times to get back in the whirl. I know the Corps of Engineers has a website as I use it a lot to check water elevations in the various lakes, etc. I assume that they post info for this part of the Ohio as well? Do they post the generation limits and times?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fcfishman View Post
    Thanks, will give it a whirl. I am sure it will take me a few times to get back in the whirl. I know the Corps of Engineers has a website as I use it a lot to check water elevations in the various lakes, etc. I assume that they post info for this part of the Ohio as well? Do they post the generation limits and times?
    -502-775-5056 will let you know what going on down there, What's at dam, hydros,and pools,+ a three day forcast. It's updated every 4 hrs and the national weather sevice will update ever day at 2:00...Tyme's right on with jig and color.good luck..Chuck