Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up new battery charger, WOW!

I recently had to buy a new battery charger caused i noticed my batteries never goy fully charged. at first it thought they were no good , there old and its time to replace them. so i borrowed a battery charger fro a freind and they both fully charged??? din,ding , i need a new charger. run off to sears and there out but can get one in four days , i had planned a trip with my cousin so i needed one right away. ran to walmart and they only had one that was a charger, the rest were jump starters. its made by shewmaker and its called the speed charger. they have three or four different maodels and this thing actually charged both batteries within 24 hours. fully charged at that. it has several settings on it one is for deep cycle batteries. shows how many volts you have and the % of charge. small and compact could probably be mounted some way in the boat and wired to the batteries if you modified it a little. but was indeed impressed with this product. best charger i have owned and priced at $50 bucks. works better than 150 dollar chargers i have bough and used. just thought i would pass this on incase any one was intrested or in need of a new charrger.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new battery charger, WOW!

I know exactly what you are talking about. My onboard double charger quit so I went to a local place that sells discount closeouts. I bought the speed charger for 30 bucks and love it . Schumacher chargers are made about 20 miles from my house this guy has about ten of them left for 30 bucks a piece.In Danville,Illinois

Post Thanks / Like

anybody else have experience with this charger. Sounds a lot better than spending 150-200 for one of those on board chargers. Can it charge two batteries at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like

They are not waterproof.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it to charge both of my tm batteries at the same time. Ihave it show me % of charge left its amazing to watch. I checked one of my batteries after it said fully charged I used a hydrometer (i think thats what its called) said 100% so it works but like said b4 it is not waterproof but for my fixed income budget I can cover it while charging. check the net for Schumacher SHIP-SHORE speed charger 15/10/2...works so good I may get a second one b4 they are all gone
    Last edited by stratosjoe; 07-13-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

if u all want a good charger check in to stayncharge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    I use it to charge both of my tm batteries at the same time. Ihave it show me % of charge left its amazing to watch. I checked one of my batteries after it said fully charged I used a hydrometer (i think thats what its called) said 100% so it works but like said b4 it is not waterproof but for my fixed income budget I can cover it while charging. check the net for Schumacher SHIP-SHORE speed charger 15/10/2...works so good I may get a second one b4 they are all gone
    I've had 2 of the Schumacher chargers, and BOTH were CRAP.....

Glad you've had good luck with them, but the innards and caps that are used to manage overcharge are JUNK. WHEN they start to wear out, you will boil your batteries, as they are analog circuitry and not a good digital PCM model.

Most onboard chargers have good PCM circuitry to shutoff the charge.

A good way to check is to listen really close to the battery after it is fully charged......even after the charger said It was complete, you could still here water boiling OUT of the battery.....

You DEFINITELY get what you pay for.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Gee thanks, Geo as always we really appreciate your input

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: new battery charger, WOW!

I have the same model as the original poster. Just bought it a few weeks back. I had a ProSport 12 onboard charger that bit the dust and bought the Schumacher 15/10/2 so I could charge my mower battery during the off season.

Small, compact, and charges the trolling battery and starting separately. I trolled a lot one day and plugged it in and it said i was still at 85% which sounded great to me. This was after charging the battery (newly bought) all the way up to 100% the day before.

Very pleased with it so far and the price $50 was a steal. At Walmart.

Digital readouts are very nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stratosjoe View Post
    Gee thanks, Geo as always we really appreciate your input

Ok......how about this...........

Man.......those are GREAT chargers..........Go ahead, purchase one......

Just plan on buying batteries every year, because you will BOIL THE CRAP out of them........

By the time you replace to or 3 batteries a year......you could have EASILY purchased a GOOD PCM CHARGER........

AND just in case you think I'm blowing smoke.......here is a pic of said CRAPPY.........CHARGER.

http://www.geofisher.com/Misc/crappy_charger.JPG

Later,

Geo
    Last edited by GeoFisher; 07-14-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

Just plan on buying batteries every year, because you will BOIL THE CRAP out of them........

By the time you replace 2 or 3 batteries a year......you could have EASILY purchased a GOOD PCM CHARGER........

AND just in case you think I'm blowing smoke.......here is a pic of said CRAPPY.........CHARGER.

Later,

Geo
    Ok.........Now I see I'm comparing an older charger to a better charger.........but I stand by my statement that my older chargers were JUNK.

The newers ones definitely look better........As for how they work.....I don't know.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

By the time you replace to or 3 batteries a year......you could have EASILY purchased a GOOD PCM CHARGER........

Later,

Geo
    Geo, i appreciate your info on their chargers , its good to know the good with the bad.

however, the one i purchased looks nothing like the onein you pic. the one i have is small, blue/black with a small screen that displays the charging/battery info. so im not knocking the one in the pic but it looks like one of the older models. so, hopefully they have inproved their product.

also, im not using it as a onboard. i have twop batteries i rotate between and no need for a sarter battery cause my arm does that, LOL (15hp tiller).

but there is always good with the bad. hopefully the charger holds up and my experience is beeter than the one you had with this companies products. but as of now i like it much better than the $160 dollar one from craftsman i bought years ago. i guess we will see if this one holds up as lond asit did.