Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Imaging

Post Thanks / Like

Side Imaging

Alright guys, I mainly fish Rough, Nolin and Barren. For you guys that have side imaging units and fish these lakes, have you found the side imaging units to be helpful? I'm really debating on getting one.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side Imaging

I like the Humminbird SI units...I would suggest any of them except the 797....screen is too small to see the details good enough. You can really see whats down there if you learn how to read them correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance is coming out with one after ICAST this year. So I think the prices will come down a bit. After there is a little competition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    Lowrance is coming out with one after ICAST this year. So I think the prices will come down a bit. After there is a little competition.
    I sure hope you are right! I'd love to have one, but really, whether I have the money or not, I just can't really sink $1,500 into one of these units for the fishing I do.

Anyone have any information about installing them on your boat? I am wondering if it would be advisable to wait until I buy a new boat to get one anyway?

Also, I am guessing the sounder unit is mounted in the back of the boat, or at mid-boat at best? I think it would be best to have it mounted on your trolling motor, so you can "see" what you are fishing, and doing it when you are fishing. But from what I have seen, the units seem to be mounted in such a way you read the unit while you are sitting in your captain's seat.

So, for those that have one, is that the way you do it? I would much rather be able to use the side scan while I am standing at my fishing position.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one of the sidescan units. I like it very well, but there are some quirks to sidescanning. For it to read the bottom correctly, you have to do the following: be moving in a fairly straight line and be traveling at 2-5 mph (it definitely will not work on plane). I have my transducer mounted on the jackplate because they are about $250 to replace. Given all of this, if mounted on the trolling motor, you would still need to be moving at the stated speed and refrain from turning your trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Side Imaging

i had a hummingbird 997csi it didn't work worth a darn on the trolling motor.

my 2cents worth ranger519

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ranger and cast-away.

I figured they would not work on the TM, but to me, it seems it would be good to have the units working from both places. I mean, sure it is a lot nicer to sit while you search for a spot, but when fishing, you are not at the seat, unless like I occassionally do, you use a seat in the front of the boat. LOL... that takes me back to the mid 90's when that was the norm. A seat in the front. Now it is a Pro-Pole or nothing at all. And I do like the seats for fishing, helps out the damaged knee and back, but for some reason they, the seats, are not as comfortable as they used to be.

Now back to the side scan. You talked about using the side scan on the shore line, but what about scanning humps?

Something to think about... the side scan units have imaging software, right? I mean, they try to accurately show a sunken boat, if it is a boat. So, is that software going to come to our regular sonar units? Wouldn't it be nice to have a wide angle cone, and be able to scan humps, drops, etc, and have the software to allow you to recognize exactly what you are looking at?

Just a thought.

Let's go fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00SKEETER View Post
    Alright guys, I mainly fish Rough, Nolin and Barren. For you guys that have side imaging units and fish these lakes, have you found the side imaging units to be helpful? I'm really debating on getting one.

They pull those lakes down 20-30 feet during the winter. Visiting those lakes during the winter will be way more beneficial, than using a SI unit at summer pool will ever be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_4_Fun View Post
    They pull those lakes down 20-30 feet during the winter. Visiting those lakes during the winter will be way more beneficial, than using a SI unit at summer pool will ever be.
    I agree with you, but I have seen cover at winter pool and then not be able to find it again when it is under water. You can also see fish and baitfish on the graph. If you see something on the graph you can move your cursor to that spot and the humminbird will tell what direction and how many feet away the object is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cast-a-way View Post
    I agree with you, but I have seen cover at winter pool and then not be able to find it again when it is under water. You can also see fish and baitfish on the graph. If you see something on the graph you can move your cursor to that spot and the humminbird will tell what direction and how many feet away the object is.
    Take a camera and a handheld gps with you at winter pool, walk over to whatever structure looks good and mark a waypoint, and take a picture. Transfer that waypoint to your boat unit. Then at summer pool you've got your waypoint right on the structure.

A good way to know what you are seeing on the SI unit, is do the above things first, then you can see what that structure looks like on the SI unit, that you have pics of and have seen when dry.

I'd like my SI unit a lot better if it was in my boat more that it was at the repair center. It looks like I may be sending it off for the 4th time for repair.

Post Thanks / Like

F4F,

You say you have a lot of trouble with your SI equipment. What kind of trouble is it?

Also, others out there, do very many of you have the same problem, or does F4F possibly have a lemon??

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

i have the 997, if you educate yourself on how to use it, it is very benificial. instead of having to fish a point you can scan it. however, dont expect to see the fish on structure unless you are scanning at less then 100ft to each side. even then you will have to use the zoom on structure you see to actually distinguish fish on the structure. as stated above, you have to be moving for the si to work. it opereates by shooting a razer thin beam through the water, if you are not moving it will just return the same info giving you a distorted screen. if you go to yahoosideimaginggroup, you can get more info. you can mark spots at winter pool, but it still will not help you know which points/structure are holding fish. also as stated above, get at least the 997 you need at least that screen size. best thing i can say about it is that i have been fishing a main lake point around structure without bites, (if i didnt scan prior), and as im leaving look on the si and see bass maybe around just one little brush pile, you can gps mark it and turn around and cast right into them. usually getting fish. however it takes practice with the unit to do it in a manner to not scare out all the fish. mouning the si is usually on the jp since they are expensive. or, you can get a thru hull transducer, but it is a TRUE thru hull and you will have to drill through the bottom of the boat. hope this helps.