Search Fishin.com

Barry Guest

WTB tactical style gun

I'm thinking about buying a tactical style gun for my son to deer hunt with. I've done some internet searching and it sound like a hollow point bullet will harvest deer. Don't know much about these types of guns so if someone has any pointers on what to look for or which manufacture to get. AR15's seems to be the most popular. So I think I'm WTB a gun if you have something send me a PM or Email. Also like the "adjustable" stock, so my son, daughter, wife, and I can shoot the same gun... BTW also will be needing a scope and 10 round clip if anyone has these items too.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WTB tactical style gun

I am not selling anything, but I am pretty sure you can not use .223 to hunt deer with in KY. Its a small round, so your standard AR is out of the question. They do make AR platforms in other calibers with .308 being your best bet for deer. Expect to drop some serious cash ($1,500+ for gun only).

I just purchased a Romanian PSL. While not "tactical" it would make an excellent hunting firearm, great plinker, and if you had to "reach out and touch some one" or "vote from the roof tops" you could. The PSL is baisically an AK on steroids. It has a much longer barrel, heavier receiver, and shoots the 7.62x54R round which is powerful (about like a 30-06) and cheap and plentiful. They can easily engage human size targets out to 500m. 800+ meters isnt a stretch in the right hands.

The best part, they are probably the best buy in firearms today. For about $800 you can get a brand new rifle, two mags, scope, and original military accessories (these were originally built for military use with some minor changes such as ground bayonet lugs for US sales)!

Another option would be Russian Saiga in .308. They are built in the famous Ischvesk (I know I spelt it wrong) factory in Russia along side their military AKs. The Saiga's are a "sporterized" AK with a standard monte carlo stock vs the pistol grip configuration of a standard AK. Due to legislation that prevents the importation of "military style" fire arms from Russia these AKs are butchered up like that. However, once purchased, one can legally convert the rifle back to its intended configuration. The Saiga .308s are getting harder and harder to find but its possible to buy one new or slightly used and convert it yourself the way you want for around $700+/- depending on what all you want on it. They also have a score rail so mounting an optic is easier.

Another options is an SKS. They use to be called the poor mans hunting rifle when they could be had for $100 practically new. Those days are gone now but you can still purchase a decent SKS for about $250. They are not tactical either but offer semi auto matic fire, 10rd magazine, and an intermediate power cartridge. The 7.62x39mm is about as small of a round Id like to use for deer. Compare it with the 30-30 round so you are limited to about 200yards. The down side is that they are hard to mount optics too, but since they have a limited range, the iron sights should be just fine.

Barry Guest

Talking Re: WTB tactical style gun

[Wow... great information just what I need. I'm a way newbie to this type of rifles. I've done a little research on the "AR15" / .223 and yes you can deer hunt with it. The Kentucky game and fish states it must be a center fire so the .223 is legal.

Do you know where I can get more informed on these styles of guns? I like the collapsible style stocks I've seen on the AR15's. Do you know if you can get that style of stocks on the SKS, Saiga .308, or the Romanian PSL? I'm basicaly looking for a gun all my family members can shoot. Also wanting something with out a lot of "kick" and not real heavy so it would be fun for them to shoot. I know what your thinking he wants everything... The way I look at it ask for everything and see what that gets you. LOL

As stated before I'm a newbie so any information is welcome. Do you have any suggestions on maybe some where to go to "look"? Thanks for all your help....

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    [Wow... great information just what I need. I'm a way newbie to this type of rifles. I've done a little research on the "AR15" / .223 and yes you can deer hunt with it. The Kentucky game and fish states it must be a center fire so the .223 is legal.

Do you know where I can get more informed on these styles of guns? I like the collapsible style stocks I've seen on the AR15's. Do you know if you can get that style of stocks on the SKS, Saiga .308, or the Romanian PSL? I'm basicaly looking for a gun all my family members can shoot. Also wanting something with out a lot of "kick" and not real heavy so it would be fun for them to shoot. I know what your thinking he wants everything... The way I look at it ask for everything and see what that gets you. LOL

As stated before I'm a newbie so any information is welcome. Do you have any suggestions on maybe some where to go to "look"? Thanks for all your help....

Barry
    Its easy to put an AR style stock on the saiga and something similiar on the SKS (keep the original wood stock cause with out its worth less if you wanted to sell it later). The PSL, not so much. The PSL comes in at about 9.5lbs so a bit heavy but managble for some one about 100lbs or more. My 5'2" 105lb wife could easily handle the PSL in a tree stand with a rest. The length of pull, like most comm bloc weapons is short so smaller framed individuals will have no problem with them. Recoil is rather stiff but not bad, its much less then a bolt 30-06.

The SKS has heft but light recoil while the saiga is light but has a stouter recoil.

If you are comfortable shooting deer with a 5.56/.223 go for an AR (I think its underpower to humanely take a deer but thats another thread). They are light and have light recoil, good for women and children shooters. The price of 5.56 has sky rocketed so be prepared to spend some money when going to the range (same as just about any ammo besides the 7.62x54r).

I am an AK guy. The pros of an AK are: cheaper ammo (cheaper ammo = more range time = more proficient with your weapon), easy to maintain, reliable, cheaper to buy, less prone to breaking in extreme conditions.

Cons: Not as modular, stock irons ****, not very ergonomic (slower mag changes and charging).

You could look into a cheap AK, purchase an AR stock adapter, scope mount (make sure the AK has a side scopre rail!) and railed handguards and youll have a tactical rig for about $600-700 if you shop around that shoots the 7.62x39mm catridge of which there are soft points available that can take down a deer pretty easily at short ranges.

Post Thanks / Like

You are allowed to use a .223 to deer hunt in Ky now, you can use any centerfire cal now, I know several hunters that use the .223 and also 22.250. If you want him a good gun like you mentioned, an sks is a good little deer gun, I have killed several with mine all in 1 shot, but a .243 is the best bet as it is good all around cal and it does not kick alot.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a barrett .50 for dear hunting...........

I'm a lazy butt, and want to reach out oh say.......1800 meters to tag that FINE buck 4 farms overs.......but hey.....that's just me. .

Actually........wifey made me choose 18 years ago.....Fishing, or Hunting.....and I was getting tired of fighting CRAZY FOOLS with a gun......so I chose fishing......

Now I get to fight CRAZY FOOLS with a TRITON.....

No DisRespect to Triton owners.........just pickin a boat name.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I prefer a barrett .50 for dear hunting...........

Geo
    And when using the Barrett .50 for dear hunting, I generally try for a gut shot.......the ENERGY of the round ***** the guts out the exit wound, eliminating the need to field dress it......