Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Conservation Officers off the Clarksville ramp

I almost never go to the river on weekends. Too many other idiots, etc.

Today (Saturday) was an exception.

We saw the officers in their boat going from boat to boat to check licenses, etc whatever. It was me,another adult male and his 12 year old son in my boat when we saw the officers finally approach my boat.

The young son had his PFD on. I had my fishing license ready to show and two other adult PFDs on the floor of the boat.

When the officers approached, I flashed my license and showed them the two other required PFDs. One officer inquired on whether I had my throwable. I answered yes I did and asked my buddy to show it as he was seated at the helm at that time and that is where I keep the throwable.

The officer waved my buddy off about showing the throwable and then asked if had the registration,etc on board. I replied that I did but it would take me a minute or two to locate same.

The officer then said, your decals are in order,you've shown us the proper PFDs, have a nice day.

Very nice officers and professional. I had nothing to hide,was completely legal and they seemed to "sense" that.

First time I've been checked in about 7 years.
    Last edited by Tyme2fish; 07-18-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Conservation Officers off the Clarksville ramp

I am glad you had a good experience. I have only been checked three times in 20 years. I always laugh when they want to check for my throwable when I am fishing by myself. I have a throw cushion and gladly show them, but it always makes me shake my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happen too me in NC on lake Norman,even checked fire ex and live well.They was nice and did a good job.Terry Adolph PS Our fiching lic saved us about $400

Post Thanks / Like

I did not know you had to have a "throwable"
    I've never been asked for one.
    Is that the law evebywhere?

Post Thanks / Like

Boats 16 feet and over,except for canoes or kayaks must have one USCG-approved throwable PFD on board

Post Thanks / Like

I usually have no problem with CO's and am usually always in compliance. Most are serious about their business, as they should be, but are at least pleasant and most are pretty friendly as long as you are doing what you are supposed to. However, a couple weeks ago we got stopped at Taylorsville while fishing and these guys wore us out. It was not the usual Spencer County CO who has checked me dozens of times and is always very cordial. They asked permission to board and then opened every hatch, looked in every cooler, etc. I guess they were checking for alcohol but their manner was very rude, to say the least. They checked expiration of the fire extinguisher, actually blew my air horn to make sure it worked, etc, etc. We were totally legal, no alcohol, etc. The whole time they are checking me, there are power boats pulling tubes in a
    NO SKI zone. When I asked about that, they told me they were the Law Enforcement Officers, not me, and to mind my own business. First time in years I have had a complaint about CO's. I have no problem with checking all items to make sure I was in compliance, like the air horn, but we gave them no reason at all to be so short and rude. I guess it was just a bad day for them or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Conservation Officers off the Clarksville ramp

Quote Originally Posted by Tyme2fish View Post
    I almost never go to the river on weekends. Too many other idiots, etc.

Today (Saturday) was an exception.

We saw the officers in their boat going from boat to boat to check licenses, etc whatever. It was me,another adult male and his 12 year old son in my boat when we saw the officers finally approach my boat.

The young son had his PFD on. I had my fishing license ready to show and two other adult PFDs on the floor of the boat.

When the officers approached, I flashed my license and showed them the two other required PFDs. One officer inquired on whether I had my throwable. I answered yes I did and asked my buddy to show it as he was seated at the helm at that time and that is where I keep the throwable.

The officer waved my buddy off about showing the throwable and then asked if had the registration,etc on board. I replied that I did but it would take me a minute or two to locate same.

The officer then said, your decals are in order,you've shown us the proper PFDs, have a nice day.

Very nice officers and professional. I had nothing to hide,was completely legal and they seemed to "sense" that.

First time I've been checked in about 7 years.

I was there Sat as well with my kids and a friend. Same experience...showed them what they wanted to see, chatted for a few minutes and they moved on. Very courteous and friendly. Be glad to see them around more often...might calm some of the bozos down a little.
    Last edited by Fisherjoe; 07-19-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clarify

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I guess a stringer of empty beer cans won't substitute for a PFD? I mean they float?

Post Thanks / Like

I got checked on the River about 3 weeks ago. The CO from Indiana is a good friend of mine, but the other guy never seen us. He started to check us until I started talking to the CO driver. He realized we were in compliant. Chatted for awhile about the quarry to see if it is off limits and if tickets are being written and if 14 is really trolling only. Quarry is in court waiting for papers to be signed, then it will be trespassing. 14 is trolling only. I thought someone put that little sign at 14 as a joke. Wont see me running up 14. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcclark View Post
    I did not know you had to have a "throwable"
    I've never been asked for one.
    Is that the law evebywhere?
    Absolutely. Found that out a month ago when the Indiana CO wrote me a warning while in 14 mile creek. I always thought an extra lifejacket would suffice....wrong! However, the extra lifejacket got me a warning rather than a ticket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by orca View Post
    Quarry is in court waiting for papers to be signed, then it will be trespassing. 14 is trolling only. I thought someone put that little sign at 14 as a joke. Wont see me running up 14. Good Luck
    Now that's interesting about the quarry. If it does go to an enforced no trespassing rule, that should eliminate a lot of the traffic you see on the river.......where's the new hangout going to be? Taylorsville Lake?

I think I talked to the same guys, and I asked about the electric motor only sign as well - said that they were out there trying to crack down on boats for motoring in it...told them they should come out during the week and get the jet skis that blow through it - the COs said that they usually don't get out during the week.....

Post Thanks / Like

Got stopped at the lower dam yesterday evening. They were cordial and the bro-in-law didnt have is throwable, got a warning...lucky if you ask me. Only problem was, we launched late just to fish the evening bite and it took them over half an hour to run the registration for some reason so we missed out on a lot of fishing! lol

I did ask him about the sturgeon regs and he didnt know, heck he didnt even know there was more then one species!