Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Concealed Firearms on a BOAT..............who has the answer.

Sink or swim, if you have been a leo for 6 years then you should be aware that without a CCDW you only have the right to carry in the open on your person or in a glove box but do not have the right to carry it on your seat or dash board. The officer cannot see it on the dash or on the seat when approaching the vehicle therfore it constitutes a concealed weapon. The current legal difinition is if you can take posession of the weapon with ONE move then it is not legal and is considered concealed on or about the person. In a glove box rather locked or unlocked requires TWO moves to obtain posession. ( reaching to open the box and then reaching to grasp the weapon) If you have a CDW then it is a moot point.
    http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm Not trying to rock a boat but don't want people without a ccdw thinking they are ok if they dispaly a weapon on the seat beside them or on dash when this can result in a violation.
    Last edited by Perk0915; 07-26-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BttrBn View Post
    W/O A permit you are NOT Allowed to have it in the seat next to you or on the dash board. The law is that if you can make one move and be armed w/o a permit it is Illegal. The glove box is legal b/c that is considerd 3 moves one to reach one to open and one to grab the weapon. Please do not have a weapon in the open if you are not licensed
    BttrBn,

That is almost word for word to what a sheriff's deputy told me. We we talking about it. He also added, the ammo must not be stored with the gun, and espeically not in the gun. He told me this was the only "LEGAL" way to transport a handgun. I seem to remember him adding a conceal carry license would allow me to have the weapon on me. I could easily be wrong about that.

What I really found interesting was this guy was telling me it is illegal to carry a handgun and ammo stored in the same area, even if it is your trunk.

Now I have to say this, I have no reason to believe this guy was telling me the truth, other than he was a sheriff's deputy. He was proud that he could carry a weapon, had one stuck in his holster, his belt (in the back) and I am guessing, I bet he had an ankle holster. Personally I got the feeling this guy would not let the "law" stop him from imposing his own justice, but at that I am just guessing.

HDF

Post Thanks / Like

My father was a Jeff.Co. police officer for 27 years and that is what he told me so i have no reason not to believe him. I can see how someone would think that if they laid it on their seat that it wouldnt be concealed but im sure people do and think they are within the law by the wording but It does get people in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

What about a long gun, shotgun or rifle? Any laws or regs about a long gun?

Post Thanks / Like

This is why conceal carry laws are TOTAL BULLCRAP......

16 posts, and 10 different answers...........The 2nd amendment gives me the RIGHT to carry a gun.......ANY GUN.......ANY TIME........and these conceal carry laws make it nearly impossible to UNDERSTAND what is legal and what is not.

I guess when a bad guy hold me up, or tries to rob me, or BREAKS into my house, or STEALS my car, I will point my finger at him and yell BANG.........I wonder if that will work.

Later,

Geo
    Last edited by GeoFisher; 07-26-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: edited to remove "bad words".

Post Thanks / Like

Its perfectly legal to have at least long guns on the seat. I got pulled over at 1AM with an AKM-47 and an AKM-74 and 2,000 rnds of ammo. Luckily I wasnt in Louisville. I was in Albany, KY headed to my friends place on Dale. When the officer came up to my window he looked at the rifles and didnt even blink. He asked where I was headed and I told him. He looked in my car some more and found 6 fishing poles and a 1.75 of Jack. I got my ticket and the officer said, "well it looks like yall are gonna have fun this weekend!"

Open carry is legal. This whole one move BS is bogus. If I open carry it only takes me one move to reach my weapon, so open carry in vehicle is no difference.

Heck I just refinished an AKM at my moms place and drove back with it propped up in my front seat! (didnt want to mess up the finish as it aint fully cured).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BttrBn View Post
    My father was a Jeff.Co. police officer for 27 years and that is what he told me so i have no reason not to believe him. I can see how someone would think that if they laid it on their seat that it wouldnt be concealed but im sure people do and think they are within the law by the wording but It does get people in trouble.
    You aint packin heat on taylorsville after all the lovely things on the BBC are you?

Post Thanks / Like

just wondering has anyone that hasnt been convicted of a felony ever got a ticket that they actually had to pay for a concealed weapon in the state of ky.

SINK-OR-SWIM Guest

Geofishher,
    I am not telling you the wrong information. If you want confirmation or further information call any Kentucky State Police Post or your local county attorneys office. They will confirm the info I told you. I hope this helps. I just want law abiding citizens to know their rights when it comes to protecting themselves. If I knew someone that got arrested for CCDW while the gun was in plain view on the seat or on the dashboard I would tell them to get an attorney and sue for civil rights violation! then i would tell them to take that money and buy an even bigger and better bass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SINK-OR-SWIM View Post
    Geofishher,
    I am not telling you the wrong information. If you want confirmation or further information call any Kentucky State Police Post or your local county attorneys office. They will confirm the info I told you. I hope this helps. I just want law abiding citizens to know their rights when it comes to protecting themselves. If I knew someone that got arrested for CCDW while the gun was in plain view on the seat or on the dashboard I would tell them to get an attorney and sue for civil rights violation! then i would tell them to take that money and buy an even bigger and better bass boat.
    Hey thanks...........and don't take any offense.......I think the laws are very ambiguous........and in some cases up to WAY too much Interpretation.

It should be easy to know if you're breaking the law or not........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to remember about CCDW is that it applies to other deadly weapons as well. Certain knives and martial arts weapons will get you in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of these replies are absolutely funny. I don't care how long whoever was in law enforcement, there is no reason to tell an officer that you have a cdwp. Notice how some contradict theirselves in a single post?

Concealed is concealed, open carry is open carry. I don't care how individual officers look at it, it's really simple according to the courts. Corp property may be another story.