Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Concealed Firearms on a BOAT..............who has the answer.

OK.........I'm looking for the answer to this......If I have a conceal carry permit, and a handgun stored in my ROD LOCKER......what are the rules with this.

AM I breaking the law..............

We've been around this question before, but I'm not too sure we've actually answered it......

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Concealed Firearms on a BOAT..............who has the answer.

GeoFisher,

Good question. I am in NO WAY an expert on this however to my understanding (in the state of KY), if you have a carry and conceal permit then you are authorized to carry that weapon anywhere except where noted no guns allowed. I hope someone with a little more knowledge than myself will speak up on this.

Marty

Post Thanks / Like

Where am I not allowed to carry a concealed firearm?

Any police station or sheriff's office;

Any prison, jail, or detention facility;

Any courthouse containing only courtrooms or any court proceeding;

Any meeting of the General Assembly, a committee of the General Assembly, or of the governing body of a county, city, or special district;

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion is devoted primarily to that purpose;

Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the school authorities;

Any child-care facility, day care center or certified family child care home;

Any area of an airport where people and property are inspected;

Any place where federal law prohibits it.

In addition, private businesses may post their premises against concealed carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNinKY View Post
    Where am I not allowed to carry a concealed firearm?

Any police station or sheriff's office;

Any prison, jail, or detention facility;

Any courthouse containing only courtrooms or any court proceeding;

Any meeting of the General Assembly, a committee of the General Assembly, or of the governing body of a county, city, or special district;

Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion is devoted primarily to that purpose;

Any elementary or secondary school facility without the consent of the school authorities;

Any child-care facility, day care center or certified family child care home;

Any area of an airport where people and property are inspected;

Any place where federal law prohibits it.

In addition, private businesses may post their premises against concealed carry.
    I've seen that also............are there any FED or State laws that override this?

You know......the whole Idea of a conceal carry permit is against the second amendment, but lets NOT get into that.

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

It's according to who rules the body of water your on.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Concealed Firearms on a BOAT..............who has the answer.

Don't ask, don't tell has always been my policy. I see the same signs everyone else does but rarely see any officers at 2 am after a night of fishing. The varmints seem to be around though.

Concealed means concealed

SINK-OR-SWIM Guest

With concealed weapons permit you would be fine carrying it anywhere in your boat or on your person. Even without the permit you could still wear it on your side in a holster as long as your shirt does not cover the gun and conceal it. In your vehicle with the permit your free to carry it anywhere. Without the permit you can either store it in your glove box or leave in the open(dashboard, passenger seat ) as long as it is not concealed when an officer approaches the car. Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

yes u can carry one in your boat....as long as u have a concealed carry permit... and when stopped on the water or land by a game warden or city cop or whoever give them what they ask to see and your concealed carry whether u have a firearm or not... cause when they radio their station the dispatch will say... GEO fisher no priors blah blah and has a concealed carry... and its a matter of respect to the officer cause they dont know who u are or where u came from or what u might have just did.... when i got my ccdw the officer adminstering the training said always show the law enforcement officer your ccdw.... i keep mine right behind my drivers liscense incase i am ever stopped i will have it handy.... but to get back to your main question yes u can have a firearm in the boat as long as u are in a reciprocal state....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SINK-OR-SWIM View Post
    With concealed weapons permit you would be fine carrying it anywhere in your boat or on your person. Even without the permit you could still wear it on your side in a holster as long as your shirt does not cover the gun and conceal it. In your vehicle with the permit your free to carry it anywhere. Without the permit you can either store it in your glove box or leave in the open(dashboard, passenger seat ) as long as it is not concealed when an officer approaches the car. Hope this helps!
    W/O A permit you are NOT Allowed to have it in the seat next to you or on the dash board. The law is that if you can make one move and be armed w/o a permit it is Illegal. The glove box is legal b/c that is considerd 3 moves one to reach one to open and one to grab the weapon. Please do not have a weapon in the open if you are not licensed

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have my CCP and I was told that without it as long as the gun can be seen in plain sight that it is ok to have it. However if your shirt or anything else covers any part of it then it is now concealed so you will need a permit. Before I got my permit I had been stopped in several road blocks and pulled over a few times and I would lay my pistol in the seat and nothing was ever said to me.

SINK-OR-SWIM Guest

I am a cop in Kentucky and have been for 6 years and you can have it in the seat next to you or the dashboard or the glove box.

Post Thanks / Like

Sink or swim, if you have been a leo for 6 years then you should be aware that without a CCDW you only have the right to carry in the open on your person or in a glove box but do not have the right to carry it on your seat or dash board. The officer cannot see it on the dash or on the seat when approaching the vehicle therfore it constitutes a concealed weapon. The current legal difinition is if you can take posession of the weapon with ONE move then it is not legal and is considered concealed on or about the person. In a glove box rather locked or unlocked requires TWO moves to obtain posession. ( reaching to open the box and then reaching to grasp the weapon) If you have a CDW then it is a moot point.
    http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm Not trying to rock a boat but don't want people without a ccdw thinking they are ok if they dispaly a weapon on the seat beside them or on dash when this can result in a violation.
    Last edited by Perk0915; 07-26-2009 at 09:39 AM.