Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shad Post....

Post Thanks / Like

Shad Post....

I guess the shad post got a little too heated.....

Sorry If I posted stuff that was inappropriate......

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shad Post....

Seemed appropriate to me. I was sort of surprised that the entire thread got canned. I was hoping to see it get more attention to help get more people in the larger conversation about invasive species impacts. hat is why I often continue to respond to those who attack on the issue. I don't mind if they are attacking; at least they are talking and that is a start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAxsom View Post
    Seemed appropriate to me. I was sort of surprised that the entire thread got canned. I was hoping to see it get more attention to help get more people in the larger conversation about invasive species impacts. hat is why I often continue to respond to those who attack on the issue. I don't mind if they are attacking; at least they are talking and that is a start.
    I completely agree with you. I dont like when people say that is an irrelevant discussion because i know that someone will read it and realize the consequences of gizzard shad and how they are harmful to a body of water. I will always have my own opinion as to how they get in a body of water but ill always be open minded. The bashing is unnecessary but i do think its good that we talk about it because it does bring awareness.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear administrator,

If you are going to delete a whole topic, then please delete this topic along with any other topic on here that isn't all butterflys and roses. If you need to freeze a topic that is fine and if you need to sensor someone for swearing I understand, but don't erase a entire topic.
    Just my two cents.

Mike,
    We disagree on the fact that you and others choose to single out a entire group of people based on what one person may or may not of done and thus label that group as the cause of your problem.

However, we agree whole heartedly on the issue of invasive species including the shad and the havoc they can do to a fishery or ecosystem.

I will leave it at that.

Have a great day.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike still no ansewer on the carp.. I fish the lake 20-30 times a year for the last 15 years, when we started seeing the carp is about the same time the shad showed up its time to face the facts and face it the shad were not put in the lake they made it back in the same way the carp did!!!! The shad are there and there is nothing you can do, my suggestion is turn the lake into a trophy lake since you have all the main ingrediants already, there is big bass and lots of food already present put a 25" size limit on the bass and 1 fish daily limit.. Still alow the tournaments and take the money you make from this events and buy fish yearly to stock the lake.. Sounds like a gold mine to me!!!

Post Thanks / Like

1. I deleted the thread...when people start slamming one another and foul languange is used, the thread is gone, period.

2. Now you have a new thread going on this subject..start slamming one another again or using foul languange and I will delete it again.

3. It is a violation of the site discussion board rules to post comments on the discussion board about the administration of the boards...read this and heed this. If you have a problem with the administration of the boards...send your comments via email to peter@fishin.com.

4. If you can't live with the rules...find another site to play on.

Fact: Everytme this topic comes up, bass anglers are given the blame although no one has any proof of this. I am sure some may be...but how about the person out there dipping minnows that he seined up from another area and brought to the lake...happens all the time...then dumps those minnows they don't use in the lake...this is the obvious reason and more plausable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Dave! You can only beat a dead horse for so long. It's easier to move a mountain then to move a person's opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, Peter, etc.;

I am sorry to learn here that Fishin.com has taken the position in this long running debate that the majority of fisheries managers and lake managers are wrong, and that the issue is not something that should continue to be debated. I have often noted that the threads that contain this issue end up having some of the site's largest view counts. That would make it appear that a lot of people are at least reading about the issue, while only a few actually post. It would seem to me that from a site admin perspective you might want to see the discussion continue. I know as a lake manager I want the discussion to continue, even though I do appreciate that the insults and personal attacks get pretty silly at times. But even that keeps people aware of the issue, and may just make some of those readers who don't post to stop and think about things that they might otherwise not think about before they do something harmful to the resource.

I wish people would understand that when someone in a management agency says that bass anglers may be responsible for some of the shad introductions, that is never, ever, meant to imply that all bass anglers are culpable. I know many bass anglers, and we host dozens of tournaments with some excellent clubs each year. Most of them are great folks and serious about their conservation ethic. I agree that it is not fair that so many times this issue gets discussed someone seems to always throw up the straw man argument that managers should not paint all bass anglers with the same brush. We don't. It is the people who throw up that argument that try to twist the topic into that shape, as you just did in your explanation of why you deleted the other thread. I personally see the bass tournament community as the best hope for getting this issue on the road to a resolution, but for that to happen they need to quit falling for that straw man ploy when someone throws it out there.

All that said, I do appreciate your position that this is your board, and since you indicate here that you share the opinion that managers are wrong who press the idea that some bass anglers are do so stupid things based on misinformation. Your desire for "proof" before a discussion can take place makes this an unlikely spot for the discussion to continue. So be it. I regret that the people who so often come here to see this management discussion from both side will no longer be able to do so.

I assume that since this post violates your TOS in that it does discuss board rules and comments, it is probable that my future access to the board will be denied. Please feel free to do that, as I will no longer be visiting Fishin.com anyway. Anyone out there who reads this before it gets taken down, feel free to contact me through my work email. If you know who I am and where I work, I'm sure you can find it online.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    1. I deleted the thread...when people start slamming one another and foul languange is used, the thread is gone, period.

2. Now you have a new thread going on this subject..start slamming one another again or using foul languange and I will delete it again.

3. It is a violation of the site discussion board rules to post comments on the discussion board about the administration of the boards...read this and heed this. If you have a problem with the administration of the boards...send your comments via email to peter@fishin.com.

4. If you can't live with the rules...find another site to play on.

Fact: Everytme this topic comes up, bass anglers are given the blame although no one has any proof of this. I am sure some may be...but how about the person out there dipping minnows that he seined up from another area and brought to the lake...happens all the time...then dumps those minnows they don't use in the lake...this is the obvious reason and more plausable.
    Dave,
    10-4.
    By the way your "Fact" is right on, and that is the issue some just don't understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, Peter, etc.;

I am sorry to learn here that Fishin.com has taken the position in this long running debate that the majority of fisheries managers and lake managers are wrong, and that the issue is not something that should continue to be debated. I have often noted that the threads that contain this issue end up having some of the site's largest view counts. That would make it appear that a lot of people are at least reading about the issue, while only a few actually post. It would seem to me that from a site admin perspective you might want to see the discussion continue. I know as a lake manager I want the discussion to continue, even though I do appreciate that the insults and personal attacks get pretty silly at times. But even that keeps people aware of the issue, and may just make some of those readers who don't post to stop and think about things that they might otherwise not think about before they do something harmful to the resource.

I wish people would understand that when someone in a management agency says that bass anglers may be responsible for some of the shad introductions, that is never, ever, meant to imply that all bass anglers are culpable. I know many bass anglers, and we host dozens of tournaments with some excellent clubs each year. Most of them are great folks and serious about their conservation ethic. I agree that it is not fair that so many times this issue gets discussed someone seems to always throw up the straw man argument that managers should not paint all bass anglers with the same brush. We don't. It is the people who throw up that argument that try to twist the topic into that shape, as you just did in your explanation of why you deleted the other thread. I personally see the bass tournament community as the best hope for getting this issue on the road to a resolution, but for that to happen they need to quit falling for that straw man ploy when someone throws it out there.

All that said, I do appreciate your position that this is your board, and since you indicate here that you share the opinion that managers are wrong who press the idea that some bass anglers are do so stupid things based on misinformation. Your desire for "proof" before a discussion can take place makes this an unlikely spot for the discussion to continue. So be it. I regret that the people who so often come here to see this management discussion from both side will no longer be able to do so.

I assume that since this post violates your TOS in that it does discuss board rules and comments, it is probable that my future access to the board will be denied. Please feel free to do that, as I will no longer be visiting Fishin.com anyway. Anyone out there who reads this before it gets taken down, feel free to contact me through my work email. If you know who I am and where I work, I'm sure you can find it online.
    Mike,
    You will be back. I guarantee it.... See you are reeding this post right now!

I will miss your contradictions in your posts on this topic. "...when someone in a management agency says that bass anglers may be responsible for some of the shad introductions, that is never, ever, meant to imply that all bass anglers are culpable."

...??? So are you saying not all but most bass anglers????.... What are you saying????
    Also, if bass anglers "MAY be responsible", then they also MAY NOT be responsible either???... right???...

Have a great day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive me for not understanding, but who is the person, that you guys have proof of, that dumped shad into a lake via a minnow bucket that they had seined up from another lake? When did you guys see it happen? Which lake was it? And did you guys turn the person in?

Seems like it is ok to point fingers at everyone except a few bass fishermen. I know for a fact that there is proof that a bass club put shad into a large Indiana reservoir. However, as you know, proof and enough proof to prosecute are two different things.

Post Thanks / Like

why don't you just delete this topic and let it end there? This was retarded to even open another thread about the old one closing. Just get over it, nothing you say on here is going to change anything going on in the water. MOVE ON.