Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Secondary Point, explanation ?

Might sound like a noob question ... But I am unsure as to what a secondary point is ... Could someone provide some insight or provide a link with pictures and such

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Secondary Point, explanation ?

Quote Originally Posted by LoomisLover View Post
    Might sound like a noob question ... But I am unsure as to what a secondary point is ... Could someone provide some insight or provide a link with pictures and such

Thanks
    LL,

I think we have all wondered this at sometime. I look at it this way, and I think it is logical, but I probably still have it wrong. Which is OK for me, I guess, but hope this will help you.

If you consider a "Main" lake point as being any point to a bay or inlet that is on the main lake, then any secondary point is any 'big' point that is in that bay or inlet.

I'm not sure where you fish, but take lake Barkley as an example. Eddy Creek is a very large bay on Barkley. The main lake points are the two as you enter the bay. I consider the 'secondary' points as those major points that go back into the bay. I realize that could mean as much as a mile or more of secondary points as I go further into the bay and up that creek *smirk*, and I am sure others will offer better definitions. However, this definition works well for me.

Good luck, and tight lines,

HDF

Post Thanks / Like

I think every main point on a lake and then the 1st point as you go into the creek is the 2nd.But even on the main lake you have 2nd like when you come out of the creek and then the 2nd point could be on the main lake.Good question but your guess is as good as any.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I had to be taught this, HiDef has hit it on the nose although you could have a little cut on the main lake and the points on each side are not main lake points they are mainlake secondary points, it all has to do with the 2-points at the mouth of bays anything further into the bay is considered "secondary". So when you read fishing reports you will know exactly what they are talking about

Post Thanks / Like

Primary points are where you have two major bodies of water joining..ie..the first points on your left or right as you are entering the creek or bay...all others are secondary points whether on the main lake or back in the creek or bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave thats what i was thinking.Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a Bill Dance show recently where he referred to the underwater points out on a main lake point as secondary points also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
    I saw a Bill Dance show recently where he referred to the underwater points out on a main lake point as secondary points also.
    If thats what Bill Dance wants to call them fine but thats not what 99% of the population will be refering to when they say secondary point. To me that is an underwater knob or ridge.

There are two types of points main lake and secondary. The main lake points are the ones close to the main channel. Secondary points are the ones off the main channel up creek arms. The only reason it matters is so you can put patterns together and know what people are talking about when they tell you fish are on a type of point. For example in the summer winter fish may be on main lake points and in the spring and fall secondary points.

But use a little logic when designating points a point way up the lake may be on the main channel but it may be more like a secondary point. Or a point up a major creek arm that holds fish year round may be more like a main lake point. Points are spots where fish like to hang out the whole main lake/secondary thing just shows you what part of the lake the fish are in and using these great structures. The simple way to look at it is if the channel out from a point holds fish year round then consider it a main lake point if it doesnt then its more of a secondary point.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    Primary points are where you have two major bodies of water joining..ie..the first points on your left or right as you are entering the creek or bay...all others are secondary points whether on the main lake or back in the creek or bay.
    That's as clean and simple as I've ever heard anybody put it, and dead on too.

Post Thanks / Like

I add my own third category into "points". It's key to understand why there is a difference in points and why they need different names.

A main point is any point that has two channels of different sizes that meet at some point in front of it without any other points in between. An example would be an old river channel that meets an old creek channel.

A major point is any point that has two channels of similar sizes that meet at some point in front of it without any other points in between. Examples would be where either two old creek or two old river channels meet.

The last category is a seconday point which has only one channel in front of it and "bays" on either side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiDefFisherman View Post
    LL,

I think we have all wondered this at sometime. I look at it this way, and I think it is logical, but I probably still have it wrong. Which is OK for me, I guess, but hope this will help you.

If you consider a "Main" lake point as being any point to a bay or inlet that is on the main lake, then any secondary point is any 'big' point that is in that bay or inlet.

I'm not sure where you fish, but take lake Barkley as an example. Eddy Creek is a very large bay on Barkley. The main lake points are the two as you enter the bay. I consider the 'secondary' points as those major points that go back into the bay. I realize that could mean as much as a mile or more of secondary points as I go further into the bay and up that creek *smirk*, and I am sure others will offer better definitions. However, this definition works well for me.

Good luck, and tight lines,

HDF
    thanks for the response ... I actually fish on Kentucky Lake, specifically Jonathan Creek. Rarely does my fishing partner (grandfather) care to venture out to the main lake and other bays/creeks, hence the basis behind my question. Trying to figure out a game plan as I will be on Jonathan Creek August 2nd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LoomisLover View Post
    thanks for the response ... I actually fish on Kentucky Lake, specifically Jonathan Creek. Rarely does my fishing partner (grandfather) care to venture out to the main lake and other bays/creeks, hence the basis behind my question. Trying to figure out a game plan as I will be on Jonathan Creek August 2nd
    It's late, and I'm a bit foggy, but you gotta get your grandfather out of that creek. If only you get him out to the channels around the island out in front of the creek, if I am picturing the right place in my mind. You have great fishing on flats, drops, and structure inside the island, and a great flat on the main lake side of that island.

That is actually where I met the man and his son that were up here fishing from Alabama the last time I was down there.

Good luck on the second. I'd love to be out there chaseing them that day too.

HDF