Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Things I Wish I Knew Then--Boat Ramp Edition

Seeing the thread on the boat ramp frustrations, what are some things you know now that you didn't always know when it comes to launching and loading at a ramp? What about any other tips or hints that you wish everyone knew?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Things I Wish I Knew Then--Boat Ramp Edition

I wish everyone knew that being prepared doesn't mean preparing on the ramp. Ramps get busy at times and being a novice is fine because we all were at one time but the total lack of respect and inconsiderate nature of some people really disappoints me....

Post Thanks / Like

If the boat has been setting awhile, hook a hose to it in the driveway or stick it in a garbage can full of water at home and make sure it starts, runs, etc. Waiting at the ramp while someone can't get it started is a real downer. If it does not start, pull it up in the lot to change plugs, drain gas, etc. I have watched guys at the ramp almost dismantle a motor while blocking the ramp. Like the guy above said, be prepared.

How many boats have you seen watched (or done yourself as I have) without putting in the plug? Basic boating 101 but everyone does it sooner or later.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they can be a PAIN IN THE BUTT. BUT, "mother nature" tends to weed them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Before I leave the house I will get ALL of my gear ready to go that way when I arrive at the lake I can take the straps off the boat and get her ready to swim while I am in line on the ramp. If I have a partner it takes me less that a min to launch this way. Same as getting out of the water. While waiting on the trailer I get the boat ready for departure on the water so all I have to do is put her on the trailer, winch her up and pull her out of the water. That part is a bit more tricky by myself considering the ramps around central KY but I still concider myself pretty quick just out of courtesy for the others that mau be waiting at the top of the hill.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had a friend who had a ski boat, he would not unstrap his boat until he was right at the edge of the water. Once I asked him about it and he thought I was crazy. He actually thought that his boat may slide off the trailer while backing in. This was a 24foot with an inboard V8. You couldn't have drug that thing off with a truck.

That is why people do that dumb stuff they just don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

I get there at least 15 minutes early so I don't have to worry about other people.

Post Thanks / Like

If dark, when you back the trailer down the ramp, turn off headlights or you will blind anybody else who trys to back down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd2 View Post
    If dark, when you back the trailer down the ramp, turn off headlights or you will blind anybody else who trys to back down.
    Now thats a great tip!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm usually ready to launch my boat before I leave my driveway so I do fine getting her in in a timely fashion. My problem comes when I am solo and I'm trying to get my boat back on the trailer. Tie up to the dock, haul-a** up the hill to the truck, haul-a** back down the ramp, jump back in the boat, line her up, and winch her on. My boat likes to drift a little in the back leaving it unaligned so I usually have to get wet and manually guide it onto the bunks. This is difficult when you're solo. Sometimes she'll go on, no sweat, other times (in wind esp.) it can be a nightmare. Now, I am the most considerate guy you're going to meet on a ramp. I'm going to automatically assume that you know more than me, and that you are in a bigger hurry than me, and I'm going to show you that respect. I'm going to go as fast as I can while insuring that me, my equipment, and those around me are safe and secure. What I won't tolerate, however, is impatience and sideways glances from impatient people. If I'm having trouble getting my boat on and I'm wet to the ****, noticeably frustrated, and noticeably in a hurry so you can back in don't say anything snide, and don't look at me like I'm insane. I'm not baiting my hook or re-spooling my reels on the ramp (I've seen this), I'm actively attempting to get outta your way and on my way.
    I guess my suggestion boils down to this: Help out your fellow boaters and one day (that day will come), maybe you'll get the help you need. If some old salty dog is completely rude to the new guy on the ramp, new guy could get all jumpy and nervous rushing to secure his equipment...well, things tend to crack under pressure and it's best to be calm, cool, and collected so that no one's person or property gets hurt. Everyone's boat and time costs money, everyone's trip is equally special and planned out, and everyone was new to boating, trailers, and ramps sometime in their lives.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone one, myself included, was a new boater at one time or another. I learned by watching my surroundings, but mostly common sense. If you don't know the jist of it, watch your surroundings. Other boats, actions, and so forth. It's not hard. Common sense.

Lack of common sense AND courtesy. Stupid people are still stupid people. Can't help that. Ignorence is just not knowing. You can teach the ignorant. We are all in that category from time to time. If they don't want to, that's the "stupid" catigory. Soooo, don't be in the "stupid" category. Always be willing to learn. Don't be afraid to ask someone, either.

I'm off my rant

Post Thanks / Like

"Everyone's boat and time costs money, everyone's trip is equally special and planned out, and everyone was new to boating, trailers, and ramps sometime in their lives. "

I concur!