Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Seat Belts for Boats

If you want a seatbelt, here is my idea..... Install a 1 inch thick rope that is secured to the boat on one side of you then bring it across your body through a ring that is secured to the boat. bring rope back across your body again and hold the now 2 ropes with your hand. The pressure of the 2 ropes being squeezed together will hold you in. If you flip the boat all you have to do is let go of the rope and it will release allowing you to float up to the surface with your PFD on.
    OR
    2 grab handles to hold on to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    I would like to have the seatbelt option. Many more injuries due to being thrown from the boat than there a instances of boats flipping over.
    Dead on - "option"

Post Thanks / Like

65 mph plus? Slow down!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been riding as a passenger in Etecranger's boats frequently ever since 1985. I say boatS because he didn't always have Rangers and even his last Ranger wasn't as big and high powered as his present one. The first boat we used was a 14' V-Hull with a 25 horse tiller motor.

I have, over the years, been in many other boats with many other people and I am here to tell you that EtecRanger is the safest operator I have been with (expect maybe myself) and that is why I continue to fish/ride with him. He has never been, and is not now, a "speed demon" and always operates his boat as safely as possible and is always aware of surrounding conditions.

So, what I am saying is that I don't care who you are or how safely you operate your boat, if you have never run into UNEXPECTED conditions and problems, like wind gusts, rolling waves, underwater logs or structure, or a multitude of other conditions that can UNEXPECTEDLY cause your boat to bounce, roll, or jump, then you probably have never been out of the NO WAKE ZONE.

I know what EtecRanger was referring to and there have been many times that I too wish that I had had a seat belt or harness to keep me from bouncing around and I believe that is what he is talking about.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

i have burnt alot of gas to never leave the no wake zone.guess i have been lucky in the 15yrs i have been operating boats to never be in a "spot" to feel i need a seat belt.but i guess my 225lb arse is pretty well anchored,and i usually try to expect the unexpected.but anything can happen,i agree.if you want one or two in go to some race car supplier mags and buy a 4pt set..anchor the shoulder harness behind the headrest of the seat,anchor the lap belt on either side of the seat and youd be ready to go, just make dang sure the anchor points are very solid and reinforced.they have quick release type latches anyway so we can get of the car in a hurry,if you aren't unconscious it would be no problem,even upside down,to release yourself..if you use just a lap belt you will eat steering wheel,or console in a dual console,if it is a single console at much speed your partner will likely suffer more internal damage than flying through the boat if you come to a quick stop.
    jegs or summit racing would be a good spot to find one,they aren't cheap.don't know about used ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Seat Belts for Boats

Again, thanks for all the replies. It was just something to think about. Yes I try to drive safe and I do slow down. I just wanted somethting to keep me in the boat seat from all the wakes of the many pleasure boaters. I am sure that some of you have been running down the lake and all is well, then you run up on a wake, well these boats have no brakes and it takes a short time to come off the gas and slow down before your on top of the wakes. It was interesting to read the comments on this page and also I posted it on BBC
    page. I would have to say that it was about 60% against and 40% for. I should have maybe waited for the winter time. Proberly would have gone to 4 pages. Again thanks everyone and we can put this baby to bed...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimshad09 View Post
    i am a light weight and i bounce all over. i would LOVE a full body harness of some sort. if there is a website for one let me know.
    If you are that small and light and not the driver. GET IN THE ROD LOCKER! lol

Post Thanks / Like

What if I could guarantee you that your boat would not flip

If you were guaranteed that your boat would not flip upside down, you would definitely want to wear a harness right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    I would like to have the seatbelt option. Many more injuries due to being thrown from the boat than there a instances of boats flipping over.
    I agree... don't see the problem with having additional, optional safety features!