Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question swallowed hooks...

is it true a hook will dissolve if caught in the throat of a fish after a few days?

this happens to me a lot when fishing a rubber worm but if i don't let'em run i normally can't hook up. i usually just cut the line but these hooks are getting expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: swallowed hooks...

I o not know if true but you might want to keep your line a little tighter to the worm weight and become a line watcher. I have cut line off and hoped for the best but if you can see the hook and point a scalpel ran down the side of the hook will usually get the hook out and not harm the fish anymore than just letting it swim off bleeding hopig for the best. imho

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadMike740 View Post
    is it true a hook will dissolve if caught in the throat of a fish after a few days?

this happens to me a lot when fishing a rubber worm but if i don't let'em run i normally can't hook up. i usually just cut the line but these hooks are getting expensive.
    Put a hook in a glass of water and see how long it takes to dissolve. I have never done this but I would think it would take a year or even years.

Post Thanks / Like

you dont need any more than 3 seconds to set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slippedcork View Post
    Put a hook in a glass of water and see how long it takes to dissolve. I have never done this but I would think it would take a year or even years.
    some people say that the acids in the fish cause the metal to corrode and the hook will fall out. if in plain water i agree it would take forever especially with no oxygen.

you know whats funny.....5 minutes after i posted this i was watching bill dance outdoors and and he did a segment about gut hooked fish...he said that he takes needle nose and rounds down the barb to make it easier to remove. he also said that a barbless hook will not catch you less fish.

Post Thanks / Like

First off don't take this the wrong way but you are fishing your worm all wrong if you are constantly gullet hooking fish. Yes, to answer your original question is cut the line as close as you can to the eye of the hook, DON'T pull on it and make the fish bleed if you can help it. The acids in a bass stomach are extremely potent and will dissolve the hook, it's a proven fact. Now to solve your overall problem.

When you fish your worm and you feel that tap tap and that solid line movement, SET THE HOOK. If you wait longer than 2 full seconds you are waiting way too long. 99.9999% of all bass worth catching pick a worm up by the head, NOT THE TAIL. That means when you feel that tap tap he already has the hook in his mouth SET THE HOOK. Try this and I guarantee you will stop gullett hooking bass and your bite catch ratio will improve drastically. No offense but you are doing it wrong now you know how to do it right, apply it and you will fix your problem. Ask any pro bass fisherman and they will tell you verbatim what I jsut explained to you. Good luck and happy fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    First off don't take this the wrong way but you are fishing your worm all wrong if you are constantly gullet hooking fish. Yes, to answer your original question is cut the line as close as you can to the eye of the hook, DON'T pull on it and make the fish bleed if you can help it. The acids in a bass stomach are extremely potent and will dissolve the hook, it's a proven fact. Now to solve your overall problem.

When you fish your worm and you feel that tap tap and that solid line movement, SET THE HOOK. If you wait longer than 2 full seconds you are waiting way too long. 99.9999% of all bass worth catching pick a worm up by the head, NOT THE TAIL. That means when you feel that tap tap he already has the hook in his mouth SET THE HOOK. Try this and I guarantee you will stop gullett hooking bass and your bite catch ratio will improve drastically. No offense but you are doing it wrong now you know how to do it right, apply it and you will fix your problem. Ask any pro bass fisherman and they will tell you verbatim what I jsut explained to you. Good luck and happy fishing.
    i respect your input no offense taken. i tend to get a bit antsy when i get a bite so sometimes i set the hook too early so lately after advice from this older fella i've been fishing with i been letting them run. he will hollar at me.."YOU GOTTA LETTEM RUN!"

i should have known not to listen to him especially after watching him bass fish with a zebco 33....

Post Thanks / Like

My late father was an avid worm fisherman with the old hard as heck RUBBER worm. His thoughts were let them pick it up and run till they stop then wait till they run again. I hate to think how many gut hooked fish he had. i had a helluva time convincing him to pop them as soon as possible he finally started doing it that way and was shocked at the results. MAN I would give anything to watch him work a worm just one more time, miss him sumthing awful

Post Thanks / Like

The hook it's self does not dissolve it's the barbs that dissolve and then the fish swallows the hook and passes it.

Post Thanks / Like

This will take care of all your problems and will save the fish! I ues mine every year for bluegill! It works!

http://www.unhookum.com/order_direct.html