Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Patoka Lake fishing is just fine

After reading the shad post some here would have others believe that there isn't a fish left in the lake...The last 4 weekends (Sat./Sunday) I've got my limit of crappie everytime....8" to 13" size..........I've been fishing the Lick Fork area and I fish deep water well away from the bank beaters......I tight line 90% of the time using anywhere from a split shot to a 1oz sinker and sometimes with 2 hooks.....The amount of wind is the determining factor on how much weight I use.....Last sunday about 11:00AM I was talking to the CO's after they came over....I showed him my fish and he said you've got more and bigger ones than anyone we've checked today....He then asked if I was fishing the channel edges and the cover on them and I said yes....I told them I fish out here all the time and you rarely ever see anyone doing what I'm doing.....The CO driving their boat said I see you out on the main lake and back in Lick Fork all the time....I said I've got plenty of spots to fish and I do see you guys all the time as well......I've talked to the one many times on the lake the past 5 years.........Hell they didn't even ask for my license..........

I'm far from an expert but it does make a difference where and how you fish the lake.....cover is the key most of time and you need to find it well away from what you can see and where most pan fisherman head to......I've also been fishing the lake since it opened and know many places quite well.......Maybe when I retire I'll open up a guide service and show folks where and how to fish for crappie regardless of the time of year......

For those of you that have a problem with Patoka by all means don't come no one will miss ya................

I still owe RAPorter a fishing trip......I haven't forgot just been very very busy the past year........which is still no excuse........We bought another camp and family/grandkids are there every weekend.....also at our expense.........I fish as much as I can then we take the pontoon out.......Great time every weekend...........

The bass tournaments have been weighting in some good weights this year as usual.....Looks like the bass fishery is fine as well.......

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Patoka Lake fishing is just fine

I caught my first Patoka walleye today on a crankbait. Can't wait till next year, they should be about 16".

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Patoka Lake fishing is just fine

Quote Originally Posted by fishNnut View Post
    I caught my first Patoka walleye today on a crankbait. Can't wait till next year, they should be about 16".
    Oh great...another species of fish that I will have to learn to fish for. Like I have enough time already!!! Ah well, life sure is tough on a poor ol' fisherman. Congrats on the walleye.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishNnut View Post
    How long was it?

Post Thanks / Like

You couldn't have said it any better Larry.

Post Thanks / Like

It was 8" and hit a LC Mini DR along a weedbed. I was kind of surprised that it was in 10' of water with the temp @ 80 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know Patoka as well as I do other lakes in our area, but I have not caught a decent sized crappie there in two years. I know they are there, but I cant get away from the paper thin 5" fish.

Post Thanks / Like

There's other lakes around here that offer better fishing and are certainly easier to navigate and fish. The boaters, skiers, jet skis, pontoons, aw jeez, it wears me out just thinking about it, really take the umph out of that lake.

Of course I'm a redear/bluegill man and I can say with accuracy, those species are not of good size in Patoka. Crappie probably are, but I'm sure a trip to Hardy or Dogwood would offset any Patoka trip...at least in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    There's other lakes around here that offer better fishing and are certainly easier to navigate and fish. The boaters, skiers, jet skis, pontoons, aw jeez, it wears me out just thinking about it, really take the umph out of that lake.

Of course I'm a redear/bluegill man and I can say with accuracy, those species are not of good size in Patoka. Crappie probably are, but I'm sure a trip to Hardy or Dogwood would offset any Patoka trip...at least in my book.
    I would rather fish Hardy or Dogwood than any other lake in our area, for bluegill or crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

A month ago, in that cool weather, I fished a back of the same creek all day long. threw a black buzzbait all day long. 3ft of water and less with grass patches. Weather was cloudy and treatening rain. No rain tho. Caught 2 at 5lbs and several in the 2-4 area. Prob total close to 15 fish. All on a black buzz bait.

Now the next time I go up there, I won't hit a lick. Real feast or famine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a club tourney up there earlier this year and nearly everyone had a limit. We won with almost 19lb and I caught big bass of 8.43lb.

Still don't like that lake. Only fish it when I have to for a tourney. Too much traffic for the size that it is.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka Lake is just fine. You just have to know how to fish. Good fishermen will catch fish. Good fishermen know the lake they are fishing. Anyone can catch some fish IF they know the lake and where the fish are located.

90% of the fish are in only 10% of the lake.