Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

how to fish deep water

i have been fishing rough river lake and i was wondering how in the world to catch fish there.... it seems like the whole lake right off the bank is 40 ft deep.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to fish deep water

down around the lower end, and in south fork you'll find some steep stuff, but as you venture further up north and south forks you'll find a multitude of other contour and structure depending on channel swings humps and flats. Fish are all over that lake. If fishing day for bass, use 1/4-5/16 oz weight with a 4 inch pumpkinseed worm maybe with a chartreuse tail dye 12 lb line throw it around rock pile or laydown. Once you gain confidence there are bass, move up to larger worms and stay with earthtones unless fishing at night with purple, black or redshad. If fishing at night use a 5/16 oz weight and brushhog or other 7"+ worm. Bring plenty. My two cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had much luck at Rough, but what DaveR said is right on the money. Depending on how deep you're fishing, you might want to step up the weights a little more for that deeper water (like a 3/4 oz football jig, etc).

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.. i was fishing in 20ft to 50ft of water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Bozarth View Post
    thanks.. i was fishing in 20ft to 50ft of water
    I don't think many bass will be feeding much deeper than 20 feet around here. especially with the temps being so low this time of year. Maybe spotted bass, but you can catch many of them from 12-25 feet. I've sat in 50 many times, and casted to 10.

Post Thanks / Like

You know this post made me think, if bass are down deep in the summer say 20ft on some ledge,etc. They are down deep with the forage, but what are the conditions, pitch black dark? I know most lakes here in the midwest are pretty stained. Also I know that the summer months the shad and bluegill fry are all over the shallows, does this attract the smaller bass and the larger bass are out deep with the adult shad for a bigger meal? Sounds like the fry would be a easier meal if you ask me.....................................Dave you out there?????

Post Thanks / Like

There are more shad deep than there are shallow in the summer, therefore more bass are deep. The fry that are shallow is a side pattern and at times can yeild good bass but more short fish normally...but don't overlook the shallow pattern to get some fish on the days the deep fish do not want to cooperate...had to do that today.