Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

bank fishing near lexington/richmond

hey guys im looking for a good place to bass fish near the lexington/richmond area. i currently fish owsley fork near berea, and a smaller private pond. however im getting a little bored with these two due to limitations on where i can access fishing spots, or just the smaller size (of the pond). i was wondering if anybody knew of any other places to try within about 30 min drive of either two cities. i have fished cedar creek some, but always feom a boat. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: bank fishing near lexington/richmond

Is wilgreen in richmond? I think that is a pretty good lake from what I have heard. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

yea it can be ok, but its almost impossible to fish from the bank due to its all surrounded by private property and rough terrain....i've even resorted to rumaging around on google maps to try and find places, i guess im just hoping that somebody has some secret place that i've never heard of that they are willing to share with a stranger like me.

Post Thanks / Like

How is Owsley Fork? I haven't fished it in probably 25 years.

Post Thanks / Like

You can wade Silver Creek in richmond. There are alot of 6-12 inch smallies in there and tons of small sunfish. It is not uncommon to catch around 50-100 small fish wading in a day. It can be alot of fun with a light action rod and 4-6 pound test.

Post Thanks / Like

well this spring it wasn't too bad, its just hard to get many places especially back into the creeks. this summer, i haven't been able to fish a whole lot, but went down there the first time in months and couldn't catch a thing. this was the first time in 4 years that i haven't been able to catch atleast one. im honestly thinking about buying a small jonboat specifically for this lake, just because i know the potential, i just can't see most places its at. with this considered, if anybody has any suggestions on a small boat trolling motor only i'd love to hear them in a pm.
    as for silver creek, i've waded it before and you are correct that it does hold many fish, i've literally just been on big largemouth kick here in the past few months. i really appreciate the feedback though.

Post Thanks / Like

silver creek is ate up with snakes, got bit last spring by one fishing for smallies, wilgreen is good on a boat, i love the lake, but it is over fished and half the large mouth in the lake live under the docks at the marina, lake reba is good but tons of smaller fish, its good on a boat, i live around there too and would also like to know some more places to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

This has been mentioned on a previous thread here, but nobody has mentioned if they have fished it in the last couple years. Have you tried the lakes within the Bluegrass Army Depot? They are open to the public. Since there hasn't been much mention, I assume it gets almost no fishing pressure.

From KY Fish and Wildlife:

Kentucky's Hunting Access Sites
    Blue Grass Army Depot.
    Madison County, 14,517 acres;
    Alan Colwell (859) 779-6328.

Directions & Description: 4.5 miles south of Richmond on US 421. Rolling terrain with open fields and some woodlands along streams and other low areas. Two lakes available for fishing.

Since this is an active military reservation, access is only by a strictly controlled and rigidly enforced system; special regulations apply. The dove hunt is by lottery drawing only.

NEW FOR 2006: For hunting or fishing a $10.00 fee is required for a National Crime Information Center background check obtained at Blue Grass Army Depot. For more info contact Blue Grass Army Depot, 431 Battlefield Memorial Highway, Richmond, KY 40475-5010 Attn: Alan Colwell Land Manager Owned by U.S. Army

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

patrick...you have a pm.