Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley lake--Monday 8/10 And Question??

Headed to the lake yesterday with a buddy. The water was slack, not much current, but we left the lake around 1:30 pm, so maybe they started drawing more later in the day.

We fished main lake drops, and I totally got way out fished. I caught 4 or 5 dinks, but my buddy had several keepers, with the best going between 4.5 and 5 lbs.

Water had a lot of color to it, but when you put it in a bottle, it looked clear. So the water was clear, but stained?? That sounds a little anti-intuitive.

I tried my best crankbaits, to no avail. The best fish came on 1 oz football head jigs, drug along the bottom, not hopped. Most of the fish came on carolina rigs.

Water temps were in the mid 80's. It was 84.5 at launch, and the highest water temp I marked was about 86 degrees. We had a nice breeze that kept the air temps very comfortable, and not too strong that we could not keep our boat on our spots.

Even though I got way out fished, I have always enjoyed having my partner catch more fish than me, unless we are in a tournament...OK, that is the best face I can put on my fish spanking I got!!

I was thinking of selling the boat, but I got a much renewed interest yesterday... LOL so to my question....

What type of GPS (color) would you reccomend for the front of my boat? I have a Garmin GPS 168 at my console, and I got it back before you could get network capable units for your boat. Now I would like to add a GPS to the bow so I can also see the map/marked spots at the trolling motor. I know I could move the Garmin unit, but not sure I want to, as I like having it at the console for navigation as well.

So, what do you all recommend? I don't see myself spending $1,500 on a unit, but I also am not trying to limit myself to $100, if that makes sense. I guess I mean, I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to be a spinster either.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Tight lines,

HDF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barkley lake--Monday 8/10 And Question??

Quote Originally Posted by HiDefFisherman View Post
    I would like to add a GPS to the bow so I can also see the map/marked spots at the trolling motor.

I don't see myself spending $1,500 on a unit, but I also am not trying to limit myself to $100, if that makes sense. I guess I mean, I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to be a spinster either.
    Lowrance HD-5 might be what your looking for. Runs from 600 to 800 bucks.