Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

views on ky deer managment

what or some of the ideas that u think will help the deer managament

i think everone should have to take a doe first in order to get a buck tag
    what do u think

Post Thanks / Like

Re: views on ky deer managment

i think that is a good idea, but some people, with the telecheck would call in a doe that has never been harvested just so they could legally take a buck.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everybody should be allowed to kill what they want,Trophy Deer Hunting is ruining hunting in some ways because of greed.Everybody isn't out there to head hunt,some people just want meat in the freezer and don't get the opportunity to chose what they kill.
    You are only allowed one buck anyway,so why place limitations on people?
    Growing up I could go almost anywhere in 7 or 8 counties in Northern Ky and be allowed to hunt,because of Trophy Bucks people are forced to join a club,pay for a lease,or buy their own place to hunt private land.Public land is ok but can be overcrowded and dangerous in places.I have never understood all the squabbling amongst hunters over what type game they hunt,what choice of weapon they use,and when seasons are.If more hunters don't stick together,then it's a matter of time before Obama and the Left Wing Wacko's take away our guns and hunting all together.
    Coon Hunting is limited in many parts of Kentucky now because of selfishness and ignorance.People act like it hurts to let somebody walk on your property,while I don't want massive hordes on my farm or I allow people besides myself to hunt if it doesn't interfere with my own.

Post Thanks / Like

Me personally will not kill a buck unless it's would score more the 125". I have never shot one that big but i'm close. It's doesn't bother me that people kill littler bucks, I just like to see them get bigger. Now if I was in a situation where I had to feed the family or someone elses family that would be different. It would be (if it's brown it's down) for me.

I do like the idea of taking a doe before you get a buck.

Now what I would like to see is that Ky would go to muzzleloader or shotgun only during gun season (same has In) and or make gun season some other time besides during the rut.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy your tags and harvest what you want. Not in favor of the doe-first idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should be allowed to hunt the crop eating,car destroying,deer with one of these
    http://www.strangepersons.com/images/content/119757.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    Buy your tags and harvest what you want. Not in favor of the doe-first idea.
    Have to agree with you and KyFanatic. Not everyone's goal is to shoot a trophy buck. I wonder what some of these poeple would do if they hunted back in the 70's and early 80's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    Me personally will not kill a buck unless it's would score more the 125". I have never shot one that big but i'm close. It's doesn't bother me that people kill littler bucks, I just like to see them get bigger. Now if I was in a situation where I had to feed the family or someone elses family that would be different. It would be (if it's brown it's down) for me.

I do like the idea of taking a doe before you get a buck.

Now what I would like to see is that Ky would go to muzzleloader or shotgun only during gun season (same has In) and or make gun season some other time besides during the rut.
    Why should those of us who love our rifles not be allowed to use them? I can prove that states with shotgun only seasons have a higher accident rate than Kentucky does with it's rifle season,as far as the rut,they want more deer killed and the gun season is short enough as is,always irks me when bowhunters cry about that,even though they have from Sept to Jan to hunt in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Have to agree with you and KyFanatic. Not everyone's goal is to shoot a trophy buck. I wonder what some of these poeple would do if they hunted back in the 70's and early 80's?
    I used to deer hunt back in the 60's,if you found a deer track you celebrated.Some of those December days were cold,cold,cold best I remember.

When I was in Elementary school, 4 does came up behind the school and everybody in the entire school ( I think we had 200 people) stopped what they were doing and watched out the window.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Why should those of us who love our rifles not be allowed to use them? I can prove that states with shotgun only seasons have a higher accident rate than Kentucky does with it's rifle season,as far as the rut,they want more deer killed and the gun season is short enough as is,always irks me when bowhunters cry about that,even though they have from Sept to Jan to hunt in.
    You might be right about the accident rate being higher, never looked at it that way. Now let me ask you this, why is it people get so upset when people keep bass to feed the family but when its comes to killing bucks nobody cares how big they are? Whats the difference?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Russman View Post
    You might be right about the accident rate being higher, never looked at it that way. Now let me ask you this, why is it people get so upset when people keep bass to feed the family but when its comes to killing bucks nobody cares how big they are? Whats the difference?
    For the record I practice QDM on my place,but who am I to tell somebody else what they can or cannot shoot as long as it's legal? Fact is a huge percentage of deer hunters only want the meat in the freezer,which does and young deer are the best eating,but if the only deer they get a chance to kill is a 4 point buck so be it.Not everybody has the ego big rack on the wall thing going,although I have killed several big bucks in my life,I would enjoy watching a youngster kill a little buck as much or more than if I killed a B&C buck.
    Another for the record,as a family we usually catch and release all types of fish except a couple times a year for a family fish fry,If I want to keep a bass as long as it's legal ,I will,the regs guide my behavior along with a little bit of sportsman's ethics,not the consensus opinion of Tourney Bass Fisherman.
    The whole problem these days is everyone is more concerned about what somebody else is doing and how they can better their chances instead of how they are behaving.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention another thought,I've never seen a LM Bass total my wife's Dodge Grand Caravan like the 3 does who jumped off a bank into her auto did,have you?
    Believe it or not there are still people who farm for a living or a big part of their living ,at least around here,deer cause untold amounts of crop damage,property damage,and kill several people every year, You want these folks to be selective in harvesting?