Search Fishin.com

Thread: fiberglass ????

Post Thanks / Like

fiberglass ????

where can i find a place that sells fiberglass supplys lex louey area or cincy...im going too be replaceing my transom just so u know what im looking for thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fiberglass ????

Are you familar with working with fiberglass and the different materials? This Iboat forum is a wealth of information when it comes to boat repairs, including replacing transoms.

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

This site provides information about all the diferent types of fiberglass and materials available. It has a lot of very usefull information.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Prod...t_catalog.html

I made some major repairs to the fiberglass on one of my boats. This was the company that I ordered the supplies from.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...09priority=0.8
    Last edited by adam7456; 08-13-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added link.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get or order all the supplies you will need from Kentucky motors on Winchester road in Lexington, or from Carquest (paint store), or from Sherwin Williams (automotive paint store). All of these guys are jobbers for the local body shops. They can get fiberglass matt, resin , Duraglass. what ever you need.. If you are going to use Gelcoat you will need to look elsewhere. I don't think they sell Gel. They do however sell clearcoat and refinishing supplies. Another place you can check is Keystone automotive on floyd drive in Lexington. They sell some autobody supplies such as sand paper, clearcoat etc.. They may carry fiberglass matt and resin as well.
    Have fun with it.. I know it's a J.O.B.... I've done it myself in the past!!

Post Thanks / Like

this is the first time i have worked with it i have been on iboats and bbc got a lot of info on replacing transom so i decied to go all in and hack away at it today thank god i have not got ne thing yet come to find out i dont need to replace it it has a composit transom and nothing on t is broke it just poped loose from the top of the brace and one side ........scratching ur head wornding why it popped loose i hit a log at about 30 mph so now after looking at it all i have to do is repair it were it came loose took it to a guy today that works on boat for a livin and he said it was good to go and him and his guys would fix it the same way they looke at it for over an hour in the parking lot with me

Post Thanks / Like

I used to get mine from ky. motors, you can get the mesch there for a transom you will need to get heavy mesch, dont forget to use acetone to melt the existing glass befor you apply. Apply resin, then work in mesch with a brush. Must work fast it sets up fast. Good luck