Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wild Boar/Feral Pig Hunting

Well I have caught wind that Georgia's pig season has opened. Just wondering if anyone from Kentucky has ever gone down there to give it a go. Interested in maybe going down myself. Trying to decide whats best, hiring a guide (LOTS OF MONEY) or going to some WMA's (Public Ground has high pressure). Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Maybe a good WMA or a guide you might have used in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wild Boar/Feral Pig Hunting

Never hunted them in Georgia,but back in the early 90's while building a new prison in Myakkah City,Florida I met a couple guys that hunted them regular with dogs,I went with them several times as an observer,the dogs would hold the hogs while these guys caught them live.THey had scars all over their arms and legs which gave me cause to not latch hold of one.It was fun anyway.
    I'd say if you had the money,a guide would be better unless you are familiar with where to go,a do it yourselfer is cheaper and can be fun too,but it pays to have an idea about where,what,and when.
    Good Luck,
    Glenn P.

Post Thanks / Like

Check Ft Stewart's website and the Savannah National Wildlife Refuge as well. I cant remember the dates that the Wildlife Refuge is open but, if you have a jon boat with motor, the refuge is infested with hogs. If you are trying to hunt Ft Stewart, find the saw tooth oaks as they will be dropping in September and the pigs will be there. Take a thermacell and snake boots with you. I cant fnd the words to explain how bad the mosquitoes are. Check out the GA hutning forum and you may get a little help from someone on there. Georgia Outdoor Network.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Info!!! Thanks alot for everyones input. I will certainly ask the locals on their board and see if they can add anything else as well.