Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

How to use shrimp as bait for catfish?

Last year I tried frozen,uncooked, shrimp in the shell on the Ohio for catfish and had little if any success.

How do you use shrimp?

My first thought was I did not let the shrimp set in the sun a few days and get good and smelly. I now have some shrimp in a ziplock bag getting "sunsoaked." Is this a good idea or not?

I'm pretty good on how to fish for cats with chicker liver and cut baits, shad, skipjack, etc. but just wanted a little input on using shrimp.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use shrimp as bait for catfish?

ive got a uncle that uses shrimp straight from the store. im sure letting them sun for a while will sure add the stink to them. for me, if im using dead bait, i prefer bluegill caught the day im catfishing. i say eat the shrimp yourself and catch some gills for bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lil skeeter View Post
    i say eat the shrimp yourself and catch some gills for bait.
    That's what the wife says. LOL I bring home the shrimp and she's all excited about dinner until I tell her it's bait!!!

I think she steals a piece or two until I take the entire bag to the river for three or four days and it gets de-thawed and stinky.

Post Thanks / Like

Frozen, uncooked shrimp is about all I use for catfish and I think it works great.

I just buy a bag at the grocery store. You usually get like 40-50 pieces of medium size shrimp for about $6 so it's not very expensive.

I just put it on the hook - nothing fancy. I find it works about the same whether it's fresh or has thawed and re-frozen a few times.

The other day we were floating on a creek and stopped to stretch our legs. We baited up with some shrimp and had 2 cats in about 5 minutes of fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Tyme,When I channel catfish I use white or pink shrimp. I stay away from the tiger shrimp I don't have much luck on it in fresh or salt water. Letting it sit out for a while is a good idea but don't let the flies in...did that a couple times and I don't eat shrimp anymore. I use a wide gap hook it seems it gives them a more natural look IMO and gives a good hook set. This time of year I like sand bars close to ledges and the head and tailend of Islands. Good luck and let us Know how you do. I'll be down below the falls Fri. the upper dam is closed so it could be an interesting day. Chuck
    Likes charley2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note there are a few freshwater shrimp farms in Ky and surrounding states. A person might be able to hook up with one and get their dead ones to use for bait. You used to be able to get those little blue boxes of frozen shimp at bait shops and pay lakes, but for me I rather eat the shrimp and use shad or crayfish or gills for bait.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a bit of luck with shrimp when I get bored of using minnows. Channel catfish definitely bite on them, especially when you let them sun soak for a while. I definitely wouldn't say it's the best bait for cat though, but an easy one to use in a pinch!

Post Thanks / Like

Pinch off the tails, fish the heads.

Works for me.

Also the putty type baits with shrimp flavor work really well. If it doesn't already have shrimp flavor, you can buy some liquid flavor on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

Shrimp and trout

Watched a guy catch a real nice limit of trout a few years back on the Cumby using shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to marinate them shrimpies in some "flavorings" ..... garlic, anise, strawberry jello mix, or any number of attractants you have in your arsenal.

You might also consider using .... chicken skin, Spam, cheap Hot Dogs, or leftover French Fries, as the grease/fats in these foods are going to draw attention (added attractants optional). Beef Melt (pancreas) is also a good bait, but it's bloody to deal with ... and once the blood has drained out of the chunk on your hook, all you're left with is gristle.