Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

something strange i noticed

ok , the other day i went to a spot on the river and caught myself about 25-30 shad and some skipjacks and there was a few guys fishing from the bank and they had several shad on a stringer, as time went on the guy said hey lets get home and clean theese fish cause im getting hungry.

now im no rocket scientist but i can almost guarentee that would be some of the nastiest fish you could ever possibly eat. has anyone ever seen this before or are people just un educated on what kind of creature they were taking home?? i have used them for bait for years and i couldnt imagine taking them home to eat. made my stomach turn just thinking about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: something strange i noticed

With unemployment up and the economy down, I think we'll be seeing people eat most anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read stories about the "shanty boaters" that lived on the banks near the falls in Indiana and they ate them all the time. Can't remember very well but maybe they made some sort of patties out of them or processed them in some way.

Post Thanks / Like

its a first for me, after using theese as bait i would think they would be horrible and not very tasty.

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing the river years ago and ran into two guys fishing and catching skipjack. They said they had their limit on sauger and was leaving. I asked if what I saw them catching was sauger and they said yes and could not wait to eat them. I did not have the heart to tell them what they had caught. Maybe those guys are still around.

Post Thanks / Like

ive heard of many people eating sauger and saying they were good...not me though

Post Thanks / Like

Thats funny. last night I was watching the food network and they had a guy on there talking aobut strange sushi and skipjack was one of them. I will pass on that!!

Post Thanks / Like

I cant imagine3 folks eating gar, but they do. I guess all fish are edible if prepared properly. In europe the carp is a prized table fish.folks in england pay big money to fish for carp, and its a lot of catch and release for that species.

Post Thanks / Like

Double Post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    I cant imagine3 folks eating gar, but they do. I guess all fish are edible if prepared properly. In europe the carp is a prized table fish.folks in england pay big money to fish for carp, and its a lot of catch and release for that species.
    I've ate both Carp and Gar,both are as good as any fish if cleaned and fixed properly.You cut the Red Meat (mud vein) out of a carp and fry like any fish,the Cajuns in Louisiana make Gar Roasts stuffed with garlic and seasoned,it's white meat and not bad at all.
    Can't say I've ever ate a skipjack,but I like sardines and herring. If you eat catfish,then look at what they eat.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not want to shock anyone or make anyone sick----but If you go to a sushi reasturant around the midwest you will probably get served shad. I found this out from one of our local sushi bar owners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    I do not want to shock anyone or make anyone sick----but If you go to a sushi reasturant around the midwest you will probably get served shad. I found this out from one of our local sushi bar owners.

I don't eat bait!!!